Chapter 5 - I've Been Fooling Myself

Word Count : 2030

Shigure, Tohru and I were sitting around the table while Kyo was watching tv and Yuki was reading in one of the corners. We all had gathered around because Tohru had something she wanted to tell us. From the look on her face she didn't look too happy.

"Grandfather says the renovations are over." She says after a moment.

"That was surprisingly fast." Shigure comments.

"Yes, the exterior walls aren't complete yet, but he called to tell me that it's ready for us to live in now." She explains before pausing. "Oh no, We haven't started cooking yet!" She panics.

In the last little bit Tohru had started to help me a little when making dinner or just about any meal in the house.

"That's ok, why don't we all go eat out?" Shigure suggests.

"It'll be alright" I say getting up with Tohru to go to the kitchen.

"We already have the ingredients." I smile as we start cooking. Cooking together reminded me of when my mother and I lived in our small apartment. I would always start cooking when I got home from school since she would work late at the restaurant down the street. She would often bring home leftovers from there and we would have that with dinner. It was just the two of us since my dad died in a car accident before I was born. My mother made sure that I had his last name and I still keep it to this day not wanting to change it.

---

I guess both Tohru and I had spaced out because the two of us jumped at the whistle of the tea kettle. Tohru tries to touch it but forgot to cover her hand and touches the hot metal.

"That's hot!"

"Tohru be careful." I say checking her hand making sure she didn't burn herself. "Are you excited about going back to your house with your family?" I ask. In all honesty I was scared to ask but I wanted to know. She nods.

"I'm sure Grandfather remodeled house is a good place. Plus it must be heaven compared to the tent." She smiles.

---

Finally it was the night before for Tohru to move out.

"You should eat the salted fish in the refrigerator before too long. The non burnable trash day changed recently, so please be careful. What else..." she trails off

"Tohru you don't need to worry. The boys and I will manage." I tell her

"Right, here is my grandfather's address. I'll leave it with you just in case." She says putting a piece of paper on the table.

"Tomorrow is the big day, huh?" Shigure comments

"Thanks for everything you've done." Yuki says

"No, thank you, I promise to take the Sohma secret to my grave" She says

"Good luck in your new home."

I could tell the boys weren't liking it any better than I did. They hadn't said a word since the conversation started or much at all since the news was announced.

"Well I'll go pack then." She says getting up from the table.

"Tohru, why don't I help you pack and I can help carry some of your stuff to the house." I offer.

"It's fine I don't want to bother you."

"It's alright."

"Oh, ok then." She says and I head upstairs with her to help her pack. We were packing up and I could see Tohru spacing off again as she looked at a picture of her mother.