Chapter 10 - It's Valentines, After All

Word Count: 3027

"Ami, Tohru-kun, your miso soup is so good." Shigure says as we all sit around eating breakfast.

"Thanks."

"When Yuki, Ami, and I were living together, we never had a proper breakfast. "

"We could have you just never wanted to clean." I told him. I can cook but cleaning was never something I could do. Kyo walks in having been asleep earlier when we started eating.

"Good morning Kyo." I say.

"Morning." Tohru smiles.

"Hurry up and eat, or we'll leave you behind." Yuki says, but Kyo doesn't listen and just heads for the fridge.

"Don't you want breakfast?" I ask.

"No." he answers, taking the milk carton and drinking from it directly.

"But... " I start

"You can forget about him." Yuki says

"I wonder what's wrong."

---

We got to school that morning and I wasn't really looking forward to it. Today was February 13th because Valentine's day was on Saturday but today was the day where people gave their chocolates since they wouldn't see them on the actual holiday. We had arrived in the shoe lockers and Hanajima heads over and opens Yuki's locker.

"Huh?" She says. Inside was only one box of chocolates. "There's only one." Hanajima tells us, as she moves out of the way so we can see.

"That ain't right. I thought for sure I'd get to see it in the prince's shoe box." Uotani says

"See what?" Tohru asks.

"A big mountain of chocolate spilling out. You know, like in manga." Uotani replies.

"I get it. Something similar to the cuckoo phenomenon must have happened." Hanajima says.

"What does that mean?" I whisper to Yuki.

"I have no clue."

"Just as a cuckoo chick will take over a shrike's nest and dump out its eggs, each girl here has tossed away the previous girl's chocolate, in order to draw attention to their own." She explains, she points to the trash can. "In the trash can lies proof." The trash can was overflowing with chocolates.

"You're right!"

"What a waste."

"Jeez, that's mean."

"And I am the hawk which swoops down to seize the final chocolate." Hanajima says take the one that was in the locker.

"But aren't those Yuki's?"

---

We all were walking together with the exception of Kyo who was walking in the opposite direction towards us.

"Kyo!" I call out

"Yo." Uotnai greets.

He ignores all of us and stops right in front of Yuki. He goes to punch him but stops inches away from his face and Yuki doesn't even flinch.

"Kyo, don't start a fight at school." I say hoping he listens. He doesn't answer and continues walking away.

"He's combative this early in the morning." Uotani points out.

"No... his waves are uncharacteristically innocent today " Hanajima corrects.

"Innocent?"

"His thoughts are chaotic. Still it's none of my business. As long as he doesn't cause trouble for Tohru-kun " Hanajima says before hugging Tohru.