Chapter 34 - How Long Have You Known?

Word Count :  2026

"Yuki, is something wrong?" I asked. Tohru and I were leaving the classroom, when we saw Yuki standing outside the door. He seemed rather down.

"My mom changed the date of the conference last minute. Sheesh. But... it's a miracle she's coming at all, I guess." Yuki explained.

"Th- The conference is meant for you... For you to think of your own path... your own future. So.. So Yuki-kun, please do your best." Tohru says. She pauses. "I w-won't mind my own business!" She shouts after a moment.

"Huh?" Yuki questioned. What Tohru said made me think back to what Akito had said over the break.

Is she thinking about what Akito said over the break?

---

Finally it was the parent teacher conference. Everyone was being called in when it was their turn for the appointment. Uotani and Hanajima had already gone with one of their parents, at the moment it was Tohru with Shigure who were talking. I was currently sitting in a chair waiting for Miss Kobayashi who had yet to arrive. I saw Tohru leave the classroom soon followed by Shigure and not long after Miss Kobayashi arrived. Finally it was our turn and we entered the classroom.

"Please sit down." Mayu-sensei says. "Umm.. Miss..."

"Miss Kobayashi."

"Right I don't know if you know about this but Ami never answered her career path paper. " She explained.

"Oh, is that so?"

"Ami, do you have any plans for the future? Do you want to go to college or get a job? You must have some idea of what your plans for the future are."

"I don't know. I never thought about it." I lied. I have thought about the future a lot. Especially during these past couple of weeks. But it's not like I could say that I am being told to stay at home, never leaving it for the rest of my life.

"It's a big step in anyone's life. You need to find something you want to do. We want to prepare you for what is to come and it helps if we have a baseline to work with."

"Why don't we give her more time. She still has over a year to figure it out. As you said it's a big step in her life. She just needs a little longer." Miss Kobayashi says, helping me out.

"Is that alright with you?" Mayu-sensei asked.

"I think so. If you don't mind, I'm going to step out." I say.

"Go ahead, I just want to talk with your teacher a bit longer. I might head out soon, but please stop by sometime soon."

"Okay." I responded and with that I headed out of the classroom.

"Why do all these kids have no solid ideas about the future?" I heard the teacher mumbles as I walked out the classroom. I made my way outside the school. I saw Tohru sitting alone on the edging of the short walls. I sit down next to her and we both sit in silence.

"Tohru, Ami!"

"Huh?" We both look up to see Uotani and Hanajima looking down at us. Neither of us had seen them come over.

"Why were you both spacing out?"

"Er, it's nothing."

"Tohru-kun, something is on your mind."

"What?!"

"I feel turbulent waves from you." Hanajima states.

"It's nothing serious! We're just anxious, from thinking about the future again..." I trail off, covering for Tohru and I.