Outcast

Edited January 22nd 2021

I wouldn't ever get tired nor sick of this water hitting my skin and feeling the hot liquid cover my skin and fill me with satisfaction. The soap in my scalp, and on my skin. If you hadn't taken regular showers in nearly a million years like myself, you'd be absolutely in awe.

I stepped out of the shower and soaked up the feeling a little more. I threw on a pair of sweats and a hoodie I had found in the closet. Drying my hair off with my towel and looking at myself in the mirror a little longer. 

I really don't ever see myself too much and it amazed me how much I changed everyday. 

I went downstairs to grab a glass of water and saw Carl stretched out across the couch, reading a comic. He looked so content and that put a smile on my face. I turned around after grabbing my glass and sat at the edge of the couch with Carl.

He moved over a bit and shared the couch with me.

"I missed these things so much." Carl laughed, referring to the comics.

"I bet you did, there's a ton more upstairs in the room." I looked down at Carl's outfit and saw him sporting another baseball styled tee and dark wash jeans. 

"I love having more than one outfit to wear." 

There was a knock at the door, and I know longer need to feel like I had to be on guard. I looked through the peep hole and noticed it was Jessie. I opened the door and she greeted me with such a friendly smile.

"Hi sweet girl." 

"Hey, what brings you by?"

"I was wondering if you needed me to do anything special to your hair for the party tonight?" Jessie offered and I looked over to Carl kind of confused at what party she was talking about. "Oh no, I think I may have beat Deanna to it." I wasn't sure what she was talking about.

"Deanna is throwing your group a party tonight to welcome you guys into the community. When she brings it up, you mind acting surprised?" Jessie laughed and I agreed. This was all going to take some getting used to. Just a couple of days ago I was digging through dirt looking for water and now we're being invited to a party.

"It's fine, I'll act surprised if she says anything." I laughed, and Carl just kept a straight face.

"I can cut a few inches of your hair off and maybe some makeup as well?" 

"I, uh, yeah. That wouldn't hurt, I guess." I was stumbling with words very clearly.

"This will probably take some getting used to, I understand. I can come back later-

"You brought your things, you could do it now if you'd like." I saved the awkward moment and she smiled.

•••

Jessie brushed through my hair with her brush as she admired the length of it. "I've only had one haircut in my life, from what I can remember. I don't touch it much unless i'm just putting it up in a bun." I was trying my best to at least feel normal in this situation.

"I'll just trim it a bit, maybe some side bangs? Huh? Huh?" She said, trying to gloss me up.

I slightly smiled and Carl kept close to the both of us. He was so protective of me and I adored it.

I couldn't lie and say that this entire encounter wasn't making me mentally sweat. I was pretty much going through the notion of it all and felt my anxiety coming on. I had many thoughts racing through my mind.

As Jessie was about to put her scissors to my hair, I got up quickly and started her. 

I hurried over to the downstairs bathroom and sat inside for a second. I was having a panic attack and tried my best to calm myself down. I heard the door open and saw Carl standing there. "Hey, come here." I held onto Carl and was trying to control my breathing.