Change?

chapter edited september 20th 2016

Rick was kneeling down and feeding the pigs when I came up to him in a pissed off manner that I had every right to be in this very moment.

"Here's your corn!" I threw the bucket down, careful not to actually spill the corn. I began to walk off, but Rick called back for me.

"Bailey, get back over here." he demanded me, and pointed his finger back and forth.

"What's the problem?" He asked genuinely wanting to know why I just threw a bucket of corn at him

"Nothing, I have a headache and want to go lay down." I lied and knew Rick wasn't fooled. 

Rick set his head down and finished feeding the pigs with the rest of the corn I'd brought.

"What happened with Carl?" Rick asked, already knowing before I'd said anything.

"He's just so different now and it scares me. Are you sure he doesn't know where his gun is?" I asked with no shame. Carl's new demeanor was terrifying to say the least. I didn't want to end up like the boy in the woods.

"He doesn't" Rick sighed and got up from his knees.

"I wish he'd change back into his old self again. This new Carl isn't exactly my ideal best friend anymore" I rolled my eyes.

"I want him to change too" Rick agreed and I had to scold him for a second or two.

"Then do something about it, Rick. I don't know who has his ear now, but you're his father and he'll probably listen to you more than anybody here in the prison." My voice was raising higher than it should've, but I really was not happy.

"You have his ear, Bailey. In all honesty, you do."

I stopped and thought for a second, because I was Carl's best friend after the world kind of falling and even before. Rick was probably right about that.

"I know and we all know that you and Carl had that unspoken bond together, ever since y'all were kids. He needs to be reminded of that bond you two shared." 

"Sure" I agreed after a few seconds of hesitation.

 A whistle caught my ear and I turned to see Michonne riding back from her trip on her horse. She had been gone for three days now, still looking for The Governor.

Rick and I ran to the ropes and pulled the metal barriers open for her entry, then closed them immediately.

"Welcome back." Rick gave her a strong, welcoming hug, as so did I

"I missed you!" I hugged her tightly, and she kissed my forehead

"These are for you." she smiled pulling out a bag. I opened to reveal a few makeup products and clothes.

"Make up?" I questioned 

"Isn't that what every teen girl wants? That's what I wanted as a teenager" she smiled

"Yeah, sure! Thank you Michonne!" I smiled back, kind of confused by her gift

"Brought these for Carl" Michonne pulled out a couple of comic books, handing them to Rick.

"He finished the other 10 in a day." Rick smiled.

"Bailey, why don't you go run these to him?" he directed me and I wanted to roll my eyes because I knew what he was trying to do. I did agree to try and help Carl out, so I reluctantly grabbed them and headed for Carl's cell.

Daryl and a couple of other members were ready to leave, guessing for a run. I didn't really stick around to know, because they always come back.  

I walked through the courtyard to my cell block and saw Zach and Beth kissing. It wasn't technically gross, but it was something that seemed like a desire to me. I don't know, my mind is confusing me. They finished kissing and looked at me, I turned my head awkwardly. Well that was fucking awkward as can be.

I went back into the cell block, yeah Carl is also in my cell block.

Three cells away from mine to be exact.

"Hey Carl, Michonne brought you back some comics. She knows that they are your favorite, pretty nice of her." I smiled, trying to make the conversation from a while ago leave his mind.

He grabbed them from my hand and sat down on his bed.

I was willing to try with Carl, for the sake of Rick and for mine and Carl's friendship. I sat down next to him with one knee under me, ready to listen to anything he had to say. He turned to me and gave me a not so warming look.

"What are you still doing here?" he asked rudely.

"What are those about?" I asked interested in the comics

"Bailey, why do you care?" his rudeness wasn't letting up.

"Carl, I get it now. I know you did what you had to do. I'm not judging you or trying to anger you. Just explain to me what these comics are about, because I want to know." I know that I said Carl is psychotic, but I know that the Carl I grew up with is still in there. 

"Batman" he smiled and flipped the pages of the comic book.

"I've never heard of him" I smirked

"Batman is only the coolest superhero ever!" 

"Actually Superman was, but whatever" I whispered enough for him to hear.

"You know comics?"He asked startled

"I never told you, but hell yeah I do." I smirked again and he smiled at me

This was a good sign, it was a great sign. Carl was going to change.