Antibiotics

edited november 3rd 2016

I got my backpack ready for this trip to the college. I packed waters, granola bars, first aid kit, and a picture of my mom, dad, and myself when I was 10.

Carl walked into my cell as I had my back turned to him, I still heard him come in though.

"Why are you doing this? " I stopped packing, turned around and leaned against the bed rail.

"I can't let you go without me." he said

"Yeah, we've established that. Why does it matter to you where I go?" I asked wanting to know why he even cared.

"Bailey, when you're gone all I'm going to be doing here is losing my mind and wonder if you're ok or not." he swallowed hard and I couldn't help but hit him with a confused but relieved look

"Train is leaving the station, y'all coming or what?" Daryl whistled and interrupted our almost argument.

I zipped my bag shut, and pushed past Carl with my shoulder brushing roughly on his.

Why did Carl care so much? We're not boyfriend and girlfriend. We aren't Maggie and Glenn. We're just best friends.

..

"Whose car is this?" Carl asked. He examined the interior. He also had broke the silence that'd had taken up more than half of the car ride.

"It was Zach's Car." Daryl said, unsticking his hands from the wheel a bit.

Carl just nodded not saying anything after.

"Colleges are pretty big, right? How will we know where to even start for the medicines?" Carl asked, being a negative nelly.

The radio began to frazzle, and a voice was made out a tad. Daryl began to fidget with the radio, as the voice and what it was saying was becoming more clear.

" Sanctuary.. Survive " the programmed woman's voice screeched overly loud.

"Hear that?" Daryl asked fidgeting with the radio once more.

I took my eyes off the radio and noticed a walker right in the middle of the road.

"Daryl!" I yelled his name and he steered out of control, knocking more walkers that'd trailed onto the road, down.

Daryl got the wheel and Car under control, only to be stopped by what looked like to be thousands of walkers, blocking our way to the college.

"What do we do?" Bob yelled in fear. He grabbed at the door handle, ready to bust it open.

"Don't!" I yelled at Bob, and he let go of the handle.

The walkers began to pound and scratch at the car, wanting none other than to rip through our flesh for their own satisfactory.

Carl and I made that eye contact.

"Bailey, Carl, you two make a run for the woods and you don't stop for nothing!" Daryl nodded at his own statement, examining every passage way.

The only thing that scared me more than the walkers themselves, we're actually having to kill one. I've never killed one, like I said.

"Go! Go!" Michonne, screamed at us all. She slammed through her door and got out as fast as possible. Slicing through the walkers with her katana like it was no big deal. Walkers fell down like bowling pins around her.

"Look at me, Look at me!" Carl noticed my uncontrollably hyperventilating. "Stay by me, and go fast. Don't overthink, just kill them." he handed me a knife.

"I-I can't!" I screamed over the walker's moan. I was so terrified at this point, and the scenes that were happening in front of me weren't calming me down either. I

"Yes you can, Bailey. Please I know you can, be brave." Carl was trying his absolute best to try and reassure me. 

We got out, thirty seconds after Michonne had, Bob following after, him popping rounds into any walker that came near him.

Carl shot down the walkers coming way to close to us. I was cowering in fear, and was still really scared.

A walker grabbed at my hair, yanking several pieces from my scalp. I screamed for the walker to let me go. Carl shot the walker through the skull and I fell down with it. My hair was still in the walker's grip, and I kicked and punched for the walker to get off of me.

Carl yanked me up and pushed me behind him while he killed the walkers coming any where near us.

"Tyreese!" Bob yelled, still shooting down the walkers.

Tyreese was still sitting in the car as if it wasn't a big deal. Walkers surround the car, trying to rip into him and he was just sitting there like nothing was going on around him

Daryl had sent arrows threw numerous heads, heading the way we needed to.

"Tyreese, come on!" Michonne yelled at him once more.

He'd finally got out and put his hammer to use, sending the walkers down with a blow to the head of the end tip of the hammer. It was almost unbelievable how he ended them so quickly with no emotion.

Only a crowd circled around him.

Daryl, Carl, Michonne, Bob, and myself all watched the walkers surround Tyreese. I was still on the ground in shock, and Daryl grabbed me. He threw me over his shoulder like a rag doll and we all began running through the woods.

Walkers still following behind us, but Michonne taking care of them. We reached an open field and Daryl dropped me down to feet in a pissed off manner. I knew he was probably about to yell at me.

"Should stayed your ass home if you were gonna be a big baby like you were back there." he pulled an arrow from a walker's head he just killed, roughly.

Daryl got near my face, as Carl got between us and Michonne pulled him back a tad.

"She was scared, Daryl." Michonne stood up for me.

"She's never killed a walker, you know that." Carl added

"Pull that again and I'm leavin ya, understand me?" he snarled at me so rudely.

His demeanor and the way he was talking to me right now, sounded exactly how my dad Shane would talk to me.

"I'm sorry, Daryl." I apologized sincerely, looking like a hurt soul.

The trees not so far began to ruffle, revealing two walkers. They immediately went down with Tyreese behind them and we all sighed in relief.

We'd been walking for about twenty minutes, reaching a road and looked like a little gas station.

" Is that a gas station?" Bob asked, walking faster than us all to get to it.

"Bout to find out" Daryl said, pulling the vines slowly and cautiously.

Carl, Michonne and I tagged along.

Tyreese began to help as well, using the back of his hammer to cut through the vines violently and fast.

"Man won't you slow down, you don't know what's behind these. " Daryl said, making us all draw our attention to him acting crazy.

"Tyreese, calm down." I tried to get him to chill out as well, but he wouldn't.The more attention we paid, the faster and harder he pulled at the vines. He was hurting about Karen and I get that. 

Then a hard tug at my wrist turned my attention to beyond the vines. It was a walker pulling at me and I didn't scream. Oddly, as scared as I was I didn't scream.

"Bailey!" Carl yelled at me and shot the woman walker through the skull, she let go of me and I fell to the ground.

Carl tried helping me up

"Don't." I demanded and got up myself. Brushing my pants off and pulling the knife that fell out of my backpack up. Everybody looked at me with a "What the hell?" look and I couldn't take that. I walked off down the road and Daryl began to go after me. Carl stopped Daryl and looked at him."Let me handle this." Daryl nodded and turned back around to the vines and continued.

"Where are you going?" Carl yelled from about a couple feet behind me, as he jogged to catch up to me.

"I don't know!" I huffed and puffed looking all around.

"What do you mean you don't know?" he asked, walking faster to get to me. I didn't answer and just kept walking at a fast pace. "Bails." he called after me. "Bailey stop!" he called once more and grabbed my arm. "Would you stop?!" I turned to him with my arm still in his grip.

"I know that was scary, but you can't just walk-

"I don't give a shit about the walker, I just, I don't know." I rubbed my temple and looked down. "Carl, why do you care about me?" I asked bluntly, making eye contact with him.

"Am I not allowed to?" he asked squinting his eyes at me in confusion.

"Caring about somebody just gets you hurt. I cared about my mom, my daddy, and Patrick"

"When you care about somebody, Hurting comes with it. It's like a package." he made total sense."Yeah, no lie there." I looked back at him.

"Would you come back?" he asked, in hopes I'd say yes. I was going back either way, because I didn't know where the hell I was going in the first place.

I looked back up at him and he gave me the "Oh, come on" smile, as I gave a smile back. It was a mutal thing. I liked and hated the fact carl cared so much.

We reached the gas station again, The finally got into the gas station and Bob was outside taking watch.

"There y'all are, we were about to come looking for you two." Bob said

"We're fine, what's going on?" Carl asked

"We found a car, just needs a new battery." Bob was pretty happy about it and I was as well. I wanted to get to the college already and then get back home.

Carl and I walked inside, looking at everything.

"Anything that's edible or any medicine, we take it." Carl told me, already scoping out the shelves. I nodded and looked all around at the gas station. I grabbed bottled waters stuffing them in my backpack, along with other edible things.

"You needed these, right?" I chuckled, as carl placed his eyes on the diapers I held up in front of his face.

"A true comedian you are Bails." Carl said sarcastically and picked up something from the ground as he walked towards me holding a pancake mix box. He smiled and I caught that.

"Why are you smiling at a box?" I smirked, setting the water down into my bag

"You remember every Sunday my mom would make pancakes for breakfast and always invite you and Shane over?"

I could remember it perfectly.

"This were the worst pancakes ever." he laughed and I did as well.

"They were pretty bad." I chuckled, throwing more water in my bag.

"She knew they were terrible, but she just wanted an excuse for us all including you and your dad to sit down as a family."

Then he lost his smile.

When he thought about Lori he'd get so upset. I dropped my bag and walked to him. I wrapped my arms around him and laid my head on the back of his neck.

"Carl, don't do that." I pleaded softly and he turned to me

Then we both looked back slowly

Then our lips touched, fitting together like the first two puzzle pieces.

I pulled away.

We both looked at each other with the most shocked faces.

Why did I just let that happen? Carl and I are just friends and that's all we'll ever be. You don't kiss your best friend, you just don't do that.

"I'm sorry." he apologized, walking back knocking a few things over.

I just shook my head, turning around putting more waters in my bag.

After a while Daryl had got the Car started and we were ready to leave. I sat in the very back by myself, because I wanted to be alone for a while. The car ride was about fifteen minutes long, but I did doze off a bit.

I felt a tug on my forearm, alerting me to wake up really quick. 

"Relax Bailey, we're here." Bob told me and I rubbed my eyes. The college was big like I had expected and I wanted to keep a positive attitude about finding this medicine. I got out of the car and began to walk the rest of the group.