Sense

edited october 31st 2016

A few days had passed since Carl and I finally started talking again. I can confidently say that I have noticed a change in his demeanor. I was happy to see this change and looked forward to more of it.

"Nick, over here! Hey Ashton, look at me!" The Woodbury children, Lizzie, and Mika called out. They laughed and were having a fun time calling out to Walkers as if they were still real people. I looked at Carl who was shocked and just not having any of that. I felt an argument with them coming on.

"Why're you naming them?" Patrick asked the kids and that was the questions on mine and Carl's mind as well.

"One of them has a name tag, so we want to give the rest of them names too." Lizzie, the strange girl answered and Carl immediately shot an outburst at her. "What the hell is wrong with you?" Carl asked and I put my hand on his shoulder so we could leave.

The children's smiles all disappeared from their faces.

"They aren't people, at least not anymore. They aren't pets either, they are bad things that shouldn't even be alive anymore." Carl continued to soul crush and I couldn't stop him at this point.

"They are people, they're just different from us. Don't think just because your dad is the leader of the prison that you can be mean to the rest of us, Carl." Lizzie snapped back at Carl and Patrick's eyes went wide.

"How about you shut your mouth little girl?" Carl started to argue with this little 12 year old girl.

"Carol wants you guys for story time, now go on." I stopped them from really going at it and Lizzie looked at me with a glare. "You're going to be on his side now, Bailey?" Lizzie rolled her eyes and told Mika, Isabella, and Luke to go with her.

I rolled my eyes and turned to Carl.

"Carl, that was kind of blown out of proportion." I said and he dropped his expression. "Are you saying it's my fault that little girl is weird?" Carl asked and Patrick laughed to himself.

"They weren't hurting anybody Carl."

"If they were that casual about naming walkers like they were pets, that's a problem." Carl objected and I could say where he was coming from. He wasn't trying to be rude in the first place, and I get that.

"You're right, let's just drop this." I said and Carl's eyes went wide.

"That's fine, you're right let's drop it." Carl agreed and slightly smiled at me.

"Well, Patrick and I are going to go to story time. I'll catch you later, cool?" I asked Carl and he nodded. "I'd come with you guys, but isn't story time just for kids?" Carl laughed 

"No-

I squeezed Patrick's arm and he corrected himself, knowing I didn't want Carl to come for a specific reason.

"You're right, Bailey and I are very immature." Patrick laughed nervously and I rolled my eyes thinking he already blew it.

"I can tell." Carl laughed and I sighed thinking Patrick didn't blow it.

"See you later, young sir." Patrick said to Carl and I pulled his arm. "Well that was kind of close." Patrick said and I shoved him. "You think, fool?" I got mad at him slightly, but laughed it off because Patrick was a dork.

I didn't know that we were being loud enough for Carl to hear us, but he did and was now wanting to check out story time.

Patrick and I got to the library were story time was held. We took a seat behind all of the kids, so they could get a better look at what was going on. Carol held up her book and read, but none of us were the least bit interested in this book. As the man who watched the beginning of story time finally left, Carol shut the book.