Guard Up

Edited January 19th 2020

"Sum bitches have beth and they took Carol. They have the both of them and we have to get them back." Daryl spoke to the entire group and I was full of rage. We had to do something, we had to get our people back.

"We can't sit around, Carol saved us." I was breaking tears, and did my best to swallow them back. "We have to go!" I pushed past some of the group and Carl grabbed me. "Bailey, relax. We can make a plan." He looked me in my eyes and he knew how eager I was. Carol was like my mother and Beth was Maggie's sister. I didn't feel right sitting around.

"Dad, we can make a plan. We can make a plan, right?" Carl turned to Rick and it was evident he was very onboard, as well as the rest of the group.

"We'll make a plan and leave in the morning. Their group has to have numbers, we can only do this with a plan." Rick had spoke and we all agreed in unison.

•••

We decided to leave in the morning, myself, Rick, Tyreese, Sasha, Daryl, and the newest addition to the group. His name was Noah and he too was with the group that has Beth and Carol.

I wasn't sure if Carl was coming with us or not. I know he grows tired of my mood whiplashes, but considering the state of the world, he had to be understanding. I know for a fact that I hated being on the outs with him and vice versa. Who knew what could happen next, who knew if he was next.

Carl was sitting in Father Gabriel's office with Judith who was fast asleep. I walked in silently, careful to not wake her up. He looked up at me and kept his eyes locked. "You coming today?" 

I was hoping he'd say yes, but he said no.

"I figured Michonne wouldn't be able to watch both babies." I laughed, hoping the energy would be reciprocated. It wasn't and Carl scolded me. He knew I was referring to Father Gabriel.

"Bailey, stop being so quick to judge everybody." He rolled his eyes and set Judith in her crib.

"Uh? Did I offend you? You don't like him anymore than I do. Considering the last few people we have encountered, I think I have every right to feel this way. Back off." I added and Carl got up and was now standing up to me.

Carl shook his head and he immediately knew I was right.

"I'm sorry."

"Carl, I really am not in the mood to argue with you. I just wish you'd understand and process what almost happened to us. I'm trying to and I am terrified of everything right now. Carl, we almost got raped and it's been so hard dealing with it." I walked away and outside of the church. I felt too many emotions right now and the trauma was a lot to handle.

I heard the door open from behind me and I knew it was Carl coming outside as well.

"Bailey, I am sorry that will always been a moment you have to replay in your mind. I am sorry that it happened to you. I'm not telling you to push past it, because you're right, we have to deal with it. I just want you to understand that everybody we meet can't always be bad. For our sake, there has to be good people out there still."

"To be honest, ever since I lost my mom, I can't process things. If it happens, it happens. That's just how I have been able to deal with things. Just know, I'll always be here for you. You understand?"

I looked down at the ground because I was very lucky he was still around. Carl was one of the few good things left in this world. As much as him and I argue with each other, he's by my side and I am by his.

•••

I had finished packing necessities we'd need and we were all just about ready to head out. Rick was doing a quick perimeter search before we took off. I turned to my side to see Father Gabriel peaking at the message that somebody had left him on the side of the church.