im not the son i ought to be

Lol mitski lyric that I changed up a bit lol

The braid is like a family thing, before the sons went on their ways, they all had, including phil, a small braid

Wilbur is revived without a braid, and phil takes a bit too long to tie him one, but then he sees ranboo has one, and becomes hurt and very jealous

Fluff and then Angst lol

+×+×+×+×+×+×+×

There is nobody better than you

Wilbur groggily blinked his eyes open, groaning. He slowly sat up and stretched, moving to the side of his bed. He stood and pulled a sweater on, walking to the ladder.

It had only been a week since his revival, and he still hadn't gotten used to sleeping in that bed. He carefully climbed down to the main floor, being mindful of his partially dysfunctional limbs.

His bare feet touched the cold floor, and he almost fell over. Wilbur absolutely despised his overly sensitive nerves. He flopped on the couch and sighed, turning to Tommy who was also sat on the piece of furniture.

"Good morning, Tommy." He greeted, voice still low and gravelly. The blonde only nodded and kept his eyes trained on his communicator. Wilbur looked away, a bit embarrassed.

A few awkward moments later, Techno walked in, obviously just having woken up, and waved, going into the kitchen to help Phil.

Wilbur decided he didn't want to sit in the unwanted silence, so he got up and went to see what the immortals were making.

Phil and Techno immediately noticed his entrance. "Oh! Good morning, Wil. Did you sleep well?" The blonde asked, walking up to the brunette.

He stared, eyes slightly wide, before blinking. "Oh- uh, I slept nicely. Aside from a minor night terror, it was fine." The older furrowed his eyebrows, concerned, before he nodded and rubbed the taller's back.

"Oh, well, I hope your dream didn't scare you too harshly." Wilbur shrugged. "Can I help you guys with breakfast?" He asked, redirecting the conversation.

Phil smiled and clapped his hands, nodding. "Yes! Go help Tech flip the pancakes, please. I remember you were always great at it." He said, smile growing larger the longer he talked.

The brunette's cheeks turned pink and he quickly turned away, staggering towards Techno. The piglin snorted, ruffling the younger's hair. "Hey, nerd."

-

It took me a while 'til I knew

As breakfast came to a close, and Phil washed the used dishes, Techno told the others that he was going to introduce Wilbur to Ranboo.

"Have fun, you two!" The oldest exclaimed, voice light and cheerful. Tommy only waved, going to his room.

The two brothers left the warm cabin and trudged through the thick snow, eventually stepping up to the front steps of the half enderman's home.

As Techno knocked, Wilbur became more and more anxious to see this newcomer. Would he make a good impression? What if Ranboo didn't like what he was wearing? What if he didn't brush his hair right?

The pinkette placed a grounding hand on his shoulder, abruptly ending any new unwanted thoughts. "It'll be fine. Ranboo isn't one to judge so harshly. He barely even judges."

Just as he finished his sentence, the door flew open. The much taller figure stepped into view, nervously fiddling with his fingers. "Sorry for the wait, I was cleaning the place up a bit since I forgot earlier. You know me."

Techno chuckled, nodding along. "Hi, Ranboo. This is Wilbur, my younger brother who just came back to life." The brunette waved, giving the mob a small smile.

Ranboo grinned, bowing politely. "Well, hello! It's nice to meet you, Wilbur. I'm sure you already know, but I'm Ranboo." He greeted, hands behind his back.

Wilbur bowed back, smiling. "It's nice to mee you, too, Ranboo." The tall piglin beside him stretched and yawned. "Man, I'm still tired. I'm headin' back. This'll be a great opportunity for you two to become friends. Bye."

The two watched as he headed off, both a bit shocked at his sudden urge to leave. As they turned back to each other, a heavy silence washed over them.

Then, Wilbur noticed something. Ranboo had a braid, and not just any. He could figure out whose handiwork that was from miles away. That was a braid tied by Philza Minecraft himself. But, he had to be sure.

"Um, sorry, but did Phil give you that small braid?" The shorter asked, swallowing thickly. When the half and half mob nodded, he felt jealousy tug at his chest.

Phil's braids were strictly meant for family only. And, Wilbur didn't have one yet, and it's been long enough. Why did Ranboo have one and he didn't? He was the only blood-related family member to Phil, and he didn't have a braid.

But you knew from the start it was us, didn't you?

"Sorry, I- I have to go as well." He said, urgently. Ranboo didn't even get to say anything before Wilbur speed-walked away from him and towards his house.

He burst through the door, eyes darting around the room in search for his father. "Phil?! I want, no, I need to talk to you!" He yelled, feeling frustration build in his chest.

As soon as he saw the blonde come from out a corner, he grabbed his sleeve and tugged him outside. "Wil- are you okay?" Phil asked, worry obvious on his face.

The younger scoffed, letting the other go. "I'll get straight to the point. Why does Ranboo have a braid and I don't?" As he locked eyes with the winged man, he saw twenty different emotions flash in his eyes.

Phil hesitated before speaking. "Wilbur, we have known Ranboo for a little bit now, and you've just gotten back. Please, understand-" the brunette huffed, annoyed.

"Really? It's been a week since I've come back. And, in my humble opinion, that is plenty enough time to give your biological son a goddamn braid." Before the older could talk, Wilbur kept going, angry.

"Am I not family to you, Phil? Is he more family than I am?" There were tears threatening to fall. "What- is he- do you think of him as-" he stopped, trying to pull himself together.

In that silence, Phil didn't speak. The tears fell. "Do you see him as family more than me, dad? Did I really fuck up so badly? I just wanted to make you happy, but then everything went to shit."

Wilbur didn't stop or wipe away his tears. He stared at his father, trying to talk through the aching monstrosity that constricted his chest.

"Am- am I not worthy of your love, dad?" Phil opened his mouth, then closed it. The brunette tensed.

"Wilbur, I can't answer that." He turned away, and left.

It just took me a while 'til I knew