why cant i remember

thanks KitKatKittyKat8

TW: PANIC ATTACK

schlatt comforts wilbur after he spirals into a panic attack from not being able to remember and stressing himself about it

+×+×+×+×+×+×+×

third pov

wilbur wandered around lmanberg and verbally pointed things out to himself on things he did remember. he smiled to himself, proud that he at least remembered something. but, then it hit him.

what about the bad things?

he had never pointed out something that brought up a bad memory besides getting exiled with tommy. it had only been good stuff, and he began to get frustrated. why couldnt he remember bad things? he had been around the whole of lmanberg almost three times, and its only been good memories. he groaned and decided hed go back 'home'.

when he went back to his and schlatts grave, he saw the younger sitting against his grave, resting. he smiled and quickly joined him on his own, and sighed. schlatt opened his eyes and looked at wilbur, grinning. "welcome back, wil." he whispered, ear flicking. wilbur nodded and hummed. "thanks." he said, looking up at the sky. after a couple minutes, he heard small snores coming from beside him and giggled when looking over, seeing the schlatts eyes closed gently and his mouth slightly agape.

he turned his attention back to the now orangish sky, and inhaled the grassy smell. it was calming. then, he remembered earlier. his eyebrows furrowed, feeling the weird feeling of frustration build up in his chest. why couldnt he remember bad things? he cant only have the good side of everything, hed be missing out and its weird. his fins drooped, and he clenched his sweater. why is it so hard to remember little things like memories?

schlatt remembered after he died, so why didnt he? is there something wrong with him? was he wrong? what if he was purposely pushing back bad memories subconciously? why cant he remember? wilburs formerly open eyes closed tightly, and he craned his neck down, hugging his knees to his chest. his hands were shaking, as was almost everything else on his body. he felt tears well up in his brown eyes, and he rubbed at them, trying his best not to cry. what if he woke schlatt up?

he silently heaved in shallow breaths as he clawed at his knees. it shouldnt be this hard. he choked on a sob and slapped a hand over his mouth, tears beginning to roll down his transparent face. he hunched over and hid his face in his knees when he heard schlatt stir. "wil?" he mumbled, voice raspy. wilbur tried supressing another sob but he couldnt help it and let it out. schlatts ears drooped and his eyes widened. his sleepy demeanor immediately vanished as his number one priority was to make sure wilbur was okay.

he slowly inched closer to wilbur, hovering a hand over the olders shoulder, but bringing it back, not wanting to scare him. "wilbur?" he tried, voice soft. wilbur choked out another sob and slowly lifted his head, looking at schlatt with his tear stained face. schlatt gave him sad eyes and jumped when wilbur quickly moved closer to him and hugged him, crying into his blue sweater. schlatts ears relaxed and he slowly rubbed the tallers back, and pet his hair.

"its okay, focus on breathing, okay?" he said, tone relaxed. he felt wilbur nod into his sweater and hiccuped. after a couple minutes, wilburs breathing had regulated and he wasnt shaking as much. he slowly peeled himself off of schlatt and wiped his eyes, sniffling. "you okay?" schlatt asked, eyes soft. wilbur inhaled and nodded, then exhaled. he sniffled again and moved himself back to his own grave. schlatt frowned but pushed himself back to his own, giving wilbur some space.

after a couple moments of silence, schlatt spoke up. "wanna talk about it?" wilbur stayed silent for a couple more seconds and nodded, humming. "yeah, i do." schlatt slowly turned his body around to face wilbur, and the older did the same. they both leaned against their own graves and schlatt patiently waited for wilbur to vent. "i, um. its about my amnesia." the taller started, swallowing dryly. the younger frowned. "and i know its not my fault but it really feels like it." wilbur continued, resting his head on his arm on his grave. (hha)

schlatt nodded, understanding. "mhm, i know." wilburs eyes glanced at schlatt before darting back to his crossed legs. "yesterday i went around lmanberg three times, but i only remembered good things, which isnt my goal. ive been trying to pull up bad memories but nothings done it. the only bad memory i can remember is me and tommy getting exiled," schlatt grimaced. "but thats it!" he exclaimed, throwing his free hand into the air. his other hand tangled itself in his hair and started pulling angrily. "and- and im mad at myself for not being able to remember and it sucks so much, schlatt! it fucking sucks..."

schlatt smiled sadly at him and opened his arms, which wilbur slightly smiled at, crawling over and accepting schlatts hug. wilbur sighed contently as schlatt began to rub his back and play with his hair again. "you feel any better?" schlatt asked, whispering. wilbur nodded, pulling away. schlatt grinned to see a genuine smile on wilburs face. "good. im glad to know i helped, even if it was just a little bit." he said, ear flicking happily. wilburs smile widened, shaking his head.

"no, schlatt. you helped a lot. dont forget that, okay, my pretty princess?"

"i wont, pretty boy. i wont."