old friends

schlatt remembers, but wilbur doesnt, and schlatt cant stand to see wilbur so clueless, only knowing about the good things, and hates that he thinks they are friends

also i have a headcannon that schlatt killed himself with a broken bottle and not a heart attack, because angst

+×+×+×+×+×+×

third pov

wilbur opened his eyes, and sat up. he felt like he had just awaken from a nightmare that he didnt remember. he looked around, and stood. he was alone in a weird, gray room that had a nice, but abnormally shaped window so you could see all of... lmanberg? he gasped and jumped down the stone steps someone made, following them down into the ravine. "since when did this get here?" he questioned, tapping his finger against his chin. he shrugged and climbed up the dirt, and when he reached the top, he saw lots of wooden houses and nice flowers. he gasped, cooing and walked around. when he reached what looked like a small funeral, he gasped. "oh no, someone died!" he said, and as he approached the altar, about to read the name, he heard a gasp behind him. he turned around and gasped as well, but in a whole different emotion.

schlatt, the ram boy he had befriended before lmanberg was standing there, wearing the same blue sweater from when they first met. he waved and ran over, wrapping his best friend in a hug. schlatt was surprised, and confused. he slowly peeled wilbur off him and was even more confused to see wilburs confused face. "whyd you pull away?" wilbur asked, tilting his head to the side. schlatt slowly felt his eyes drift down to wilburs sweater, the same sweater he loved to wear so much. he was saddened to see an 'x' over his stomach. his fluffy ears drooped, and wilbur was going to have none of it. he quickly put schlatts face in his own hands, and grinned. "dont be sad, schlatt! im here, your best friend!" wilbur exclaimed, trying to cheer schlatt up. but, it only backfired. schlatt gasped once more and harshly pulled away, tears welling up in his eyes. they were both extremely confused. though, schlatt began to piece it all together.

"do you remember what happened?" he asked, rubbing his face. wilbur tilted his head once more. "what do you mean, schlatt?" wilbur asked, confused. schlatt gestured, frustrated. "oh, i dont know. the government i ran horribly? how bad of a person i was? how bad of a person i am..? how bad i was to you... to everyone. i hurt you, wil. and im so sorry." he said, tears falling. wilbur was speechless. "but, now youre acting like nothing bad ever happened between us. but, it did, and i... i..." schlatt stopped speaking, shakily inhaling as silent tears fell off his cheeks and onto the ground. wilbur was silent. he didnt remember all that. was schlatt making it up? no, because he was crying. and amnesia is a thing. maybe he has that?

"schlatt, i dont remember any bad things happening between us that revolves around government. were you a person of power politically?" schlatt widened his eyes and covered his mouth with both hands, and slowly sat down on his knees, squeezing his eyes shut tight. wilbur gasped and quickly crouched down and swiftly pulled schlatt into a hug. it was an instinct, he didnt like it when schlatt was sad. and right now schlatt didnt like wilburs hug. right now he didnt like how nice he was being. right now he didnt like how forgetful this wilbur is. no, this was still the same wilbur, but not. he didnt know what to do. he couldnt just let the past go. that would be too hard.

schlatt was snapped out of his thoughts when wilbur started rubbing his back and using the other hand to pet his hair. that made him want to cry more. wilbur always used to do that when schlatt was upset. and schlatt would do the same to him. it made him want to cry more and more. but, even if he wanted to, he couldnt, because this method always worked on one another. schlatt calmed down quickly, and he hated it. he pulled away and sighed, wiping his eyes with his sleeves. "schlatt, im sorry that i dont remember-" wilbur cut himself off when schlatt hugged him. he smiled involuntarily and wrapped his arms around an overwhelmed schlatt. "dont say that." schlatt muttered. wilbur squinted his eyes, looking at schlatts sweater. "dont say what?" schlatt sighed. "dont say your sorry for what you csnt control, okay, wil?" wilbur smiled wider and hugged his friend tighter, nodding.

schlatt sighed. he wouldnt get used to wilburs amnesia that quickly, but he was sure that even if he doesnt get used to it, hed still try to be a better friend to wilbur. wilbur wanted to try to be a better best friend, but for now, hed take it slow. for schlatt.

for his friend.