13

Right after they went back into Yuwen International and examined the people that were left behind last night, Wei Wuxian's suspicion was confirmed.

"Out of ten puppets here, three that died were human, the rest are vampire, werewolf, wendigo, ghoul, shapeshifter and a beastman. One human was an employee of Yuwen International." Wei Wuxian showed the chart to Lan Wangji, who studied it.

"This is oddly specific. It feels like someone intentionally sent the variety of species that was experimented on. We should also get blood samples from the dead ones." Lan Wangji reminded Wei Wuxian about the ones she killed last night, and he thought about the young man in the neon green gas mask. He had a strong feeling that the man had something to do with all this.

"Done. And I called Shen Qingqiu, Chen Yu and Liu Qingge to come over and help with the grunt's work." She observed the shapeshifter one behind the glass prison. "They will love doing the poking and prodding things. Me? I'm queasy." Wei Wuxian chuckled while Lan Wangji and He Xuan rolled their eyes together. "Where's Noah? I want to ask him something about these monsters."

"He's suddenly got called out on a job, he'll be back later." He Xuan answered for him. "I thought you never kill monsters, so how did you get acquainted with… Carmine de Medici?" He was so curious about that, and Wei Wuxian answered him with glee.

"That one, son, ain't a monster. He is the strongest Archangel there is, and do you know what they called me back then?" She looked at Lan Wangji, as if reminiscing something. 

"Angel Devourer." Lan Wangji was the one who answered.

"Angel Devourer? What about Xie Lian?" 

"Well, he may look nice and all but back then he was just as ruthless as I was." Wei Wuxian smiled. "Just one drop of our blood will kill a horde of angels, if used right. And I love to make weapons out of my blood to kill those pesky angels, they're like neverending swarms, you know."

"But you never kill monsters?"

"Haven't had a chance to yet, but I have a feeling that we're going to get our shares of them and much more."

Noah was called by Father Ben to meet him as soon as possible at the local university morgue that was located at the edge of the forest belonging to the university. There had been a couple of separate deaths this week only, and the victims showed deep gashes of something that looked like claw marks all over their bodies.

"Werewolves?" Alex looked at the deep marks on the back of the dead students' bodies. The university morgue was affiliated with the police so they could perform an autopsy there, and to use the bodies donated for science.

"No, it's still a couple days away from the full moon, and these bodies were missing their organs." Noah checked the inside of the unclosed Y incision by putting his gloved hands inside. "Yep, as empty as those beer kegs at a fraternity party. They cleaned his inside good. If this was supposed to be Wendigo's doing, and I bet these were not the first victims. Wendigos tended to hunt every twenty something years to stockpile their food."

Father Ben looked at Noah quizzically.

"They're cannibals." Noah answered, but he was as puzzled. "But why only take the organs? They loved all parts of the humans, especially the delicious parts right here." He poked the thicker belly of one of the bodies, then he noticed something else entirely. And his mind quickly made the connection. Someone's been naughty.

Father Ben looked like he was about to hurl, when Noah grabbed his shoulder. 

"So, what's the church's interest in all this? They don't want to make the good ol' name of the University tainted this close to enrollment days? Afraid there's no patron for the new wing or something expensive like that?"