40

They entered the dark cave and immediately heard that screeching sound. Even the barrier could not contain the sound anymore, and Noah could see the significant damage to it.

"This won't last long." He saw that the edge of the barrier was starting to crumble. "I guess, her power is too big for her subordinate to be able to contain her properly. It was pure luck that this barrier has lasted this long."

Feng Yue was observing the shadow inside the barrier and she saw vaguely the outline of someone inside and it resembled a human. And here she thought that Toyotama-hime would assume her dragon form inside the barrier. She became suspicious about something, so she decided to take a closer look.

"Noah, can you open the barrier? I need to check on something."

"Okay." 

Feng Yue looked at him in surprise. He agreed just like that, no doubt, no hesitation. And as he cast the strong array to open the barrier, she could see more clearly of the raging figure inside, and the understanding dawned on her.

The figure inside, a very beautiful woman in a red formal kimono, geisha make up, messy hairstyle and abnormally long painted nails, was cursing someone in Japanese, and Feng Yue could hear some of the words like kutabare, yariman, and shinee. She almost choked from the delinquent words that came out of the supposedly a goddess, but then realized that the situation was more dire than she thought. 

The woman's body was surrounded by black wisps that concentrated on her back. She could see that there was something lodged there and if she wanted to help her, she had to take out the strange objects. She looked at Noah and he noticed it too.

"I'm going to restrain her, while you take that thing out of her."

Feng Yue nodded and she slipped inside the barrier.

The moment she entered the barrier, the woman stopped her cursing and turned her attention to the brave soul, or stupid, since she dared to face the wrath of a goddess. And they seized each other up.

From up close, her face was truly beautiful, with porcelain skin, although covered with thick white powder with garish red blush on and no eyebrows. Her hair was a messy jet black color and her lips were the color of blood. The only disconcerting thing was her eyes were the same color of her lips, and she had this intense killing aura. She looked like she wanted to tear Feng Yue apart, judging from her hostile stance and the sudden growth of her nails into long and sharp weapons.

It seemed that Noah felt the intense killing aura too, since he already cast the restraint array and it rendered the woman unable to move, and without further ado, Feng Yue moved fast toward the back of the woman while she was unable to move.

But she underestimated the power of a furious goddess.

She broke free from the array and attacked Feng Yue with her long nails. Thankfully Feng Yue was able to dodge in time, and she put a distance between them, while reassessing the situation. 

Noah tried to cast another restraint array but Feng Yue stopped him.

"It's useless, she's too strong. I'll have to do something else, can you close the barrier?"

Noah nodded. Strangely, he didn't feel any fear, or panic at all. He had this same feeling when he fought alongside Wei Ying, so he knew that Feng Yue would be good. Besides, if they're going to be partners, he had to see how strong she was, and this was the best time to observe her. And if anything happened, he could just open the barrier and help her.

Feng Yue cracked her neck and shoulder, then she smiled.

"So, it's been a while since I had fun. I guess I can do some exercise now." She cast the obstruction barrier, to prevent Noah from seeing what she's going to do. Then she took her diabolium dagger out of the Abyss and prepared to attack. "You will be the first goddess to be my opponent." She smirked as she moved fast and jumped over Toyotama-hime and sliced her back, right where the black wisps were pouring out. Toyotama-hime screamed, and she attacked Feng Yue with her long nails, which she easily dodged and she sliced her again at the same place.

The black wisps poured out more quickly and Feng Yue could see some kind of a black thing lodged in Toyotama-hime's spine. Fuck, it would be a pain to dig it out. At least she had to be still or unconscious. 

Then she had an idea.

And pulled out a small dart containing her special nanites out of the Abyss.

"So, it's not personal or anything, but I just need you to stay still for a moment for me to take the strange thing out of your back." She quickly jumped behind Toyotama-hime's back, then threw the dart right in the open wound.

The effect was immediate, the possessed goddess was down in two seconds flat, and Feng Yue cut open her back and took out the strange black orb from her spine. The nanites, or maybe it was her natural ability as the goddess, healed the wound and her aura was slowly turning back to normal, without any sign of the wrath. Feng Yue could not feel any more of an anomaly from her, so she opened the barrier and walked out, then she closed the barrier behind her. Just in case.

Noah raised his brow in question when he saw Feng Yue went out so quickly and reseal the barrier. He watched the way she was fighting, clean and efficient without unnecessary movement. Although she cast the obstruction barrier to prevent him from watching her, he easily countered it with another array which enabled him to take a clear look inside. 

After he witnessed her moves, he was now 99% convinced that Feng Yue was the silver haired woman who overpowered him and whose scent gave him… illicit dreams. Which made sense, since he couldn't get his hands off Feng Yue ever since they met. And he was also pretty sure that the dart she threw to the possessed goddess was the nanites to make any creatures into her dolls. He just had a hard time believing that she was evil, or that she had ulterior motives by seducing him. He was just an ordinary man without anything that would make anyone envying him. Surely he would know if Feng Yue tried to turn him into one of her dolls, but no. She didn't do that. She wouldn't. He was pretty sure of that.

"Well, I got rid of the cause of her wrath, but just in case she's still not herself, we should put the barrier up until she regains her consciousness and see if she's herself again." She took out the black orb and showed it to Noah. "This was lodged in her spine, and it emanated black wisps with ill-intention. Do you know what this is?"

Noah took the black orb and examined it. He felt a faint vibration from the orb, and it was giving him a bad vibe, so he sealed it and gave it back to Feng Yue.

"I don't know, but I'll find out. Are you hurt?" He cupped her face, and tried hard to see if he could find any other intention in her eyes. In turn, he only saw two warm cognac orbs looking at him, with sincerity and something akin to love in them. 

Love. Was it too much if he wanted her to love him in this short period of time? He never had this kind of feeling before, and he's not sure if he would ever have it again for another person. It was like… she was his other half, as absurd as it sounded.

"I'm fine," she kissed his nose, "So, does this mean that I passed your test?" She grinned widely.

"Test?" Noah's heart was suddenly racing faster. Did she know that he knew?

"To be your partner?" She smiled sweetly and fell into his warm embrace. She then inhaled his masculine and comforting scent, and she felt like she was coming home.

"I have no idea that I was giving you a test," he chuckled and pulled her closer. "But if I did, you pass with flying colors, although I couldn't see anything from the outside."

"Those annoying black wisps suddenly multiplied and obstructed everything. I kinda had a hard time seeing anything inside. Guess it's just my luck, I was able to subdue her." She squeezed him tight and buried her face deeper. It literally hurt her to say those lies, but she had to. She didn't want Noah to find out that she's Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji's daughter. Not yet.

"Well, you are my partner anyway, with or without a test." Noah ruffled her hair, as if he knew exactly what was on her mind.

"Mm, my partner in crime."