82

He woke up on the huge bed, in a huge room designed especially for him in dark color, wooden floor, with a splash of bright color artfully here and there. The furniture was all specially made in wood and metal and they had a classic feel to it. The whole wall on his left side was made out of one continuous tall and long bulletproof glass, and it faced the balcony with a table and a couple of chairs, a pool, and a jacuzzi, with the view of the ocean.

He blinked once, twice, and saw that his longtime friend, Father Ben, was standing beside his bed. He was not wearing a priest robe, instead he wore a formal, working suit. Then he noticed that there was already a table full of breakfast being prepared outside on the balcony.

He rose from the bed, fully naked, and took a black fluffy robe on the chair beside the bed and asked his friend a question.

"I think this is the first time I see you without your priest  uniform." He kneaded his head. There was a residual headache pounding inside his skull, and he wondered if he had one too many drinks last night. But the headache felt different, and he rarely got drunk.

"Well, I quit being a priest when you asked me to help you with managing the Medici's fortune." He opened the French door that would lead outside and led Noah to the table to eat his breakfast. "You also asked Alex to help you. He's outside now checking your house from bugs. I told him to move in, since there was no place for him in the forest anymore and he agreed, after some persuasion. You have to let him hunt inside the forest that surrounds this house at least once a week and he wants you to cook the meat for him."

"Medici?" Noah asked Ben while drinking his coffee. "What's the Medici's fortune?" He still didn't understand a thing of what Ben had told him so far.

"You're the lost heir of the Medici, the last male heir, the only male heir and your biological father already signed over all of the Medici's fortune to you. And then you asked me to help you to manage them. Remember?" Ben gave Noah a glass of hangover drink. "Drink this, it should lessen your headache. How much did you drink last night anyway?"

"I don't know." Noah groaned after he finished the drink. "It's like I was asleep for a very long time and just woke up from a very bad nightmare." He speared one of the pineapple cuts and ate it. "So you're saying I quit hunting? And became a paper pusher?"

There was a sharpness behind Noah's question that Ben knew well. He was starting to doubt the story. 

Noah was a very sharp hunter with an instinct like an apex predator. He relied on the said instinct to live so far, and Ben didn't want to be the one who got caught in the lies they had spun for him. But he had no choice. 

"Of course not, you–no, we still hunt, as usual. Nothing has changed except now we work for no one." Ben quickly told him before he got suspicious. "Here, eat more, then we have to go to the office. I will let Alex know. I'll be back in a minute." 

He then went out to see Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji and Feng Xue, who asked him and Alex to be near Noah at all times and took care of him, lest he went off the rail again. They told him that Feng Yue was their daughter and she was missing and then proceeded to tell the edited version of Noah's rampage.

Ben agreed, since he had lost his faith to the church ever since the Angel's Vessels accident happened, and Alex would go to hell and back to protect Noah. So at least Noah had some familiar faces around him, since Lucifer wiped his memories about Feng Yue and everyone else connected to her, except He Xuan that he had known since childhood.

This was not the best solution, but at least it would buy them some time to find out more about what happened to Feng Yue. 

"Are you sure this is the right thing to do?" Feng Xue frowned when he saw Noah from the hidden surveillance camera all over the house. The house belonged to Xie Lian and they were adamant to put Noah there instead of in one of Lucifer's houses. It was a medium sized house that was surrounded by a vast forest, and it faced the ocean. The only way to get in and out was by helicopter and that part of the mountain was protected by a very strong barrier to prevent monsters and angels alike from ever getting inside. In short, it was the safest place for Noah right now.