60

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian entered the containment chamber where they kept Jun Wu for observation. Of course they also wanted to know if he was still his normal self or turned hostile. They were greeted by Chen Yu, who worked exclusively there, and was asked to keep an eye on the man they brought back yesterday.

"He woke up?" Wei Wuxian asked him, and he nodded.

"Just a little over an hour ago, but he's still weak, so I gave him an extra boost to strengthen his body. Most of his wounds were only skin deep, no permanent damage."

"Good, we'll talk to him now. Thanks."

Both of them walked to the room where they kept Jun Wu, and opened the door with their palm print. No one other than those who registered could open it, so Wei Wuxian deemed it safe enough. For now.

The person they saved from yesterday, Jun Wu, was still laying on the bed with his eyes closed, but he opened them when he heard footsteps walking inside his room. He looked at the newcomers and after a few seconds passed, he seemed to recognize both of them.

"Young Master Lan, Young Master Wei," he nodded at Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian with respect. "It seems that you have rescued me. I can't thank you enough for your kindness." Jun Wu tried to straighten his body but then he winced in pain. His shoulder and abdomen were bandaged, so did his ankles and his wrists. The cuffs hurt his skin but according to Chen Yu, they're just superficial wounds.

"Tell me what happened." Lan Wangji spoke to him while Wei Wuxian took a chair and turned it over before she sat on it.

Jun Wu looked uncomfortable by the question, and after pondering for a while, he sighed heavily, closed his eyes and kneaded his eyelids, then he opened them again with some kind of a resolution in them.

"I know it must be hard to believe, but I was investigating some weird disappearance of some of my… people, when I found something that you would not believe." Jun Wu paused to take a breath. "I saw the King was talking to a young man and a young woman, who looked exactly like you, Young Master Wei." He then closed his eyes and covered his face with both of his hands. "At first, I didn't know what to do, but then I accidentally heard the King gave them an order to train more dolls and release the ones that have been equipped with explosives within their designated place. I thought it couldn't be a coincidence, when the timing of the disappearance of my people matched the appearance of the dolls. So I gathered information and found out that the King has been planning all of this behind my back, and that's when I also found out how he was able to control two of your doppelgangers."

"Mm," Wei Wuxian hummed noncommittally. He was not going to explain that the twins were her children. "So, how did you get into the house?"

"I was snooping around the area where my people had been kidnapped, when someone injected me with something. I lost consciousness and when I woke up I was already in that room. But I have information regarding the twins." He coughed for a bit and then continued his talk. "I was able to find out that the King had been experimenting with your… DNA. He had a secret underground lab, and when I sneaked around there, I found out the origin of the twins and why they looked exactly like you. He documented the experiment in a very detailed video and transcript, and I made a copy of it."

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian knew that their children were not conceived in a natural way, nor would she be able to.  But to hear it from other people that they were products of experiments, and that it was documented, made their blood boil.

"Where?" Lan Wangji asked Jun Wu in a very cold voice.

"I kept it in my place, in my room there's a panic room, and there's a safe there that can only be opened with my biometrics. There's also a lot of other proof about what the King did." Jun Wu shivered when he heard Lan Wangji's tone. 

"Good. Let's go retrieve them then."

Wei Wuxian was kind of surprised with Lan Wangji's eagerness to go although Jun Wu was obviously still weak enough to travel. But then she saw that her husband–her usually calm and collected husband, held a syringe in his right hand. She could roughly guess where he got it. Of course Chen Yu couldn't refuse, after all it was his pride, the fruit of his labor–the one time nanites for emergency first aid kit. 

Lan Wangji walked closer to Jun Wu and kind of stabbed him on his neck with the syringe, and the effect was immediate. Jun Wu's color was back, and he could sit straighter. He looked at Lan Wangji and the syringe on his hand in awe.

"What is that?" He asked Lan Wangji, which the latter ignored, and instead, he grabbed the clean clothes that were prepared and gave it to Jun Wu. 

"Go get ready. We'll leave in five."

They entered Jun Wu's apparently private residence, which was located in the outskirts of the town. He was rarely there since he had to stay at the palace most of the time, but the place was kept neat and clean. There was a couple maid and a butler, and Wei Wuxian could sense a few more discreet guards outside, nothing more than ordinary though. 

They went straight into Jun Wu's room, after he greeted the butler, who did not ask about his whereabouts since he was sure that his master was staying at the palace again. The room was spacious, and beautifully decorated in dark woods and forest green wallpapers, and there was a small niche on the corner of the room and a small statue of Themis was in it. Jun Wu walked to the statue and put a coin on the left scales. It tilted and the wall beside the niche was opened in a smooth movement, revealing a small room inside, with a row of security feeds, a panic button that went straight to the local authority, and a small bed. The most prominent feature inside the room however, was a huge safe in the corner of the room. He walked there and opened the safe by putting his palm prints on the biometric reader, then scanned his iris, and verified his voice.

"Triple biometrics lock. Wonder what's inside that's so important, although I could easily bypass them with my system." Wei Wuxian whispered at Lan Wangji, who nodded.

Jun Wu rummaged through the inside. It seemed that he was a believer of keeping the secrets offline, since there were tons of documents there. Then he pulled a huge folder and gave it to Lan Wangji.

"I got the player here, since it was recorded on 9mm film." He took out a vintage 9mm player from the safe. "The rest of the transcript was all there." He pointed to the folder.

Wei Wuxian took the player and set up the player. She pointed it to the white wall and started to play the film while Lan Wangji browsed the documents in his hand.

By the time the first scene began, Wei Wuxian's breath hitched, and she unconsciously held on to Lan Wangji's hand. Lan Wangji stopped reading and looked up to the makeshift screen and he looked disgusted by the scene that was playing there.

The movie only focused on the lower part of whoever it was that was doing the experiment, and what it focused more on was the gruesome thing on the table in front of him. 

It was mutilated parts of two full human hands.