Chapter 41 - We Deserve to Live Freely

Carter made sure to put his hand on my shoulder to hold me back as we could hear the humans getting closer. The witch walked through the balcony first, looking around before her eyes landed on us. She walked down the stairs slowly and stood five or ten feet in front of us. The humans stepped onto the balcony next. Most of them gasped in surprise. Some were so surprised they couldn’t move, but the others followed and stood by the witch. I growl left my throat and this time Pilote joined Carter in trying to hold me back. Rolla stepped forward and so did the witch.

The witch held up the knife, “I suspect you know what this is.”

“And I suspect you know who I am,” Rolla replied.

“Considering you stepped up first you’re the Queen. Queen Rolla, right?”

“And who are you?”

“I’m Miranda’s ancestor.”

“Miranda was kind to us and helped us. It’s unfortunate what her family’s turned into.”

“Clever, so who should I kill first?”

“You will not kill anybody today,” Rolla said.

“But I will,” the witch smiled, “every one of you.”

            I couldn’t control myself anymore. I fought against Pilote and Carter and the others joined in holding me down. Even Brittany ran over to help.

“I see your friend over there has a temper. Maybe she should go first.”

“Hold her back!” Rolla yelled keeping her eyes on the witch.

“We can’t!” Pilote yelled, “She’s stronger than all of us.”

            My fur grew and they couldn’t hold me down any longer. I broke free from them and transformed into the black tiger. Most of the human army jumped back in surprise while the Tigmas, Fauhl, and Ruhk stood in shock. I growled at the witch. She looked surprised at first like the rest of them, but she quickly smirked at me.

“I’m so glad you volunteered to die first,” she told me. “Isn’t it unfortunate that you went on believing you could live forever?”

“Don’t touch her!” Carter yelled stepping forward.

The witch replied, “Let me guess, you’re her soul mate?”

“Yes and don’t you dare touch her.”

“I guess I could kill you first.”

I growled again catching her attention.

The witch shook her head at Carter, “I think she wants to go first. Ready to fight?”

            If I could control myself at all in this state I would have held back knowing that the knife can kill me. However my black tiger side could only sense danger. It didn’t matter what happened to me. I pounced and ran towards the witch as she stood there perfectly still with the knife in her hand. The witch raised the knife but at the moment it would have struck me Kalinda jumped in from her hiding place. She ran and jumped directly in front of me, causing the knife to go in her stomach. I rolled back onto my feet and stood near Kalinda. Her body went still and she smiled at me. I would be sadder if I didn’t know how much she wanted this. She suffered long enough. She sacrificed herself to save her people and now she’s finally reunited with her soul mate. Rest in peace Kalinda. My black tiger side calmed down and I transformed back into my Tigma form. I walked back over to Carter and he hugged me tightly.