Chapter 44 - Graduation Has Come

I laid on my bed and Carter came in a few minutes later collapsing on top of me. I laughed and ran my fingers through his hair. After looking in his mind I could see that he’s exhausted but excited because he barely was able to finish his school work before the graduation ceremony this weekend. I knew it was harder for him considering he came from the human world. It took a lot of studying time to get him caught up. I’m so proud of him for finishing. It means a lot to us that we can graduate together.

“We had to graduate together,” he told me, “Because we have our wedding coming up. Graduating together would mean getting married and starting the next part of our lives together. I didn’t want to be stuck in school while you were graduated.”

“I know,” I smiled. “I’m so proud of you.”

He smiled, “Thank you.”

“I have an assignment from Rolla. Want to help me?”

“Sure,” he nodded.

            We walked to the quad and I stopped in front of the memorial. There is still a lot of room left for more names luckily we don’t need to add many. Rolla said it was only fair to add everybody we’ve lost in the wars which means it’s time to Kalinda’s name to the memorial along with her husband’s name. Carter took both my hands and we stood next to the side where Kalinda and her husband’s name would go. We mumbled the spell four times before opening our eyes again. Kalinda and her husband’s name appeared in front of us including the date of when each of them died. A few others were added during the spell, but less than 20 died during our war so it wasn’t a long list.

I smiled, “It’s beautiful.”

“And now she’s happy,” Carter said.

“It’s a beautiful memorial statue. I can’t believe so many people died in the last war. It’s heartbreaking.”

“It is,” he agreed, “But they didn’t die for nothing. They died for the freedom we now have. We all sacrificed something they just sacrificed more than we did.”

“We should go back inside.”

He nodded keeping his hold on my hand, “What is this ceremony going to be like anyway? I forgot to ask?”

“It’s pretty simple,” I told him, “The principal will give a speech welcoming and congratulating everybody. He’ll announce everybody separately and give us our diplomas before the best student of the class will go up and present a speech for the whole class. When that is finished the mayor will usually go up and finish the congratulations, but obviously this time it will be Rolla and Pilote. So Rolla and Pilote will go on stage congratulating all of us and wishing us the best of luck in the next chapters of our lives. Then the ceremony is finished and we will come back here for the party Rolla is throwing for both of us.”

He nodded, “That sounds easy enough.”