Chapter 29: The Secret Is Out

Chapter 29 - The Secret is Out

-~-Lily-~-

After a few hours in jail the sheriff came back, “You’re free to go.”

“Really?” I asked. “Why?”

“There’s a commotion in town. Everybody in Murera is required to be there.”

What’s going on? I thought to Carter.

I don’t know, but I don’t like it.

            We followed the sheriff through town and I quickly saw where everybody was gathered: in the quad. They were gathered in front of the palace where a stage now stood in front of. This isn’t good. This really isn’t good. What are Rolla and Pilote doing?

Carter, please tell me they’re not going to do what I think they’re going to do.

            Before we could respond everybody in town gasped. What are they gasping at? I looked around and everybody’s eyes were glued to the palace. They can’t see the palace. Why are they staring at a blank wall? I heard a few people murmur palace and another few mumble how long that building has been there.

“They see it,” Carter said.

“Oh my God,” I replied.

            Rolla and Pilote walked out of the palace and stepped on the stage. I think a few people were shocked enough to pass out at that point. What the hell are they doing?! Rolla looked over at us and nodded her head. She did this to free us.

“I think she wants us to go up there,” Carter said.

Carter took my hand and we walked on stage, causing everybody to whisper to themselves.

“What are you doing?” I whispered to Rolla.

She whispered back, “You needed to be freed. I got your message. We couldn’t tell your family without raising suspicion from the sheriff. Pilote and I talked about it and it’s time.”

“Are you sure?”

She nodded, “It has to be done.”

“Okay.”

            She stepped up to the stage and addressed the people, “People of Murera, you do not know me but I am Rolla Carter-Mason. This is my husband Pilote Mason. We are the King and Queen of Murera. We have hidden ourselves from you for two hundred years in hopes that you could live a free life without worry. Lately it has come to our attention that some of you suspected secrets have been hidden from you. You are right. The palace behind us has always been there. It’s been there for over two hundred years, but we used our magic to hide it from you… until now. You have no reason to believe us which is why we’ve asked Lily Carter and Carter Lanson to join us here today. Lily and Carter found us a while ago and we’ve been friends ever since. We’ve told them every secret we have hidden from you. Lily, do you want to address the people?”

I nodded. As scared as I am I know what Rolla is getting at. She needs me to say something because they’ve known me my entire life, but they never knew she existed. I stepped up to the microphone and spoke, “I know some of you are shocked at this news, but I can assure you that it is true. Carter and I both found out about the King and Queen quite a while ago now, and they have told us the history of this city and our people. You need to listen to them because I can promise you that they are not lying.”

“We will offer proof,” Pilote said, “Because that circle all of you have left in the ground is really a statue and a fountain. You avoid stepping in that area of the quad because you would run into the statue.”