Chapter 9 - Human-Like

“Don’t touch me,” Carter peeled Mike’s hand off of his shoulder.

            It was the first time I saw the other Tigma powers in action. Mike’s the strongest guy I’ve ever known, but Carter made it clear he was stronger. Mike looked like he was in a lot of pain when Carter let go.

“It’s not your business if I’m dating him,” I told Mike.

“It’s everyone’s business,” Mike spat.

“And everyone else knows,” I snapped.

“You’re serious? They’ll kill you if you’re not.”

“They’ll kill you too if they find out what a flirt you are.”

“Lily don’t,” Brittany said.

“No I’m tired of this,” I told them. I didn’t know who it was more directed to.

“Tired of what?” she asked.

“Everything. The fact that I’m with Carter is nobody’s business and Mike, you don’t have a right to be. We were never going to be anything more. Ever! I want everyone to stop making a big deal out of it and let me have fun.”

“Lily-“ Mike started to say.

“Let’s go,” Carter interrupted, “I have to get home in a few hours.”

I sighed, “Yeah let’s go.”

“I’ll see you at school tomorrow,” Brittany said.

I smiled slightly, “Meet you on the sidewalk.”

            Carter put his arm around my shoulders and we finally paid for our food. We didn’t talk during the walk back to my house. I didn’t know what to say. It seems like everyone was right about Mike. How did I not see it?

“Because he’s human,” Carter finally said.

We were in the kitchen making our pizza fries. We put them in the oven and sat in the living room to talk.

“What do you mean he’s human?” I asked Carter, “How is that even possible?”

“It doesn’t make sense to me either,” Carter said, “But he is. I could feel it when he put his hand on my shoulder. He’s not a Tigma.”

“Maybe he got stuck here like you got stuck up there,” I suggested.

“That’s possible. I wish I was stuck down here instead of him.”

“What about your aunt and uncle?” I asked.

“They care, but they pretty much let me do what I want as long as I check in every couple days.”

“I’m glad you live up there you know?”

“I know,” he smiled.

            We sat down in the kitchen as we ate our fries and I walked him to the edge of town where the boundary was. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight. His arms were around my waist as he hugged me back.

“I wish you didn’t have to go,” I mumbled.

“Me too, but you’re coming this weekend.”

“Yeah,” I smiled, “I’m excited.”

“I hope it’s everything you’re expecting.”

“It will be.”

“My life can be dangerous Lily I want you to understand that.”