Chapter 5 - Dream Goes On

"BOOM"

            I looked up from where I was standing and saw a man in his mid-30s holding a gun. The loud sound caused a ringing in my ears I didn’t think was ever going to go away. I slowly lowered my head and saw blood rushing out of my chest. I couldn’t feel a thing at first. Is this what everyone called adrenaline? I never imagined death to feel like this.

The man was laughing repeating one line over and over as my world turned to darkness, "Goodbye, Tigma".

The pain started coming to me as the man just stood there and looked at me. It was an excruciating pain that just got worse by the second. I didn’t understand anything about this. I was supposed to be home in my bed sleeping. I shouldn’t have snuck out of the house because maybe this wouldn’t have happened. I gripped my chest trying to stop the bleeding, but it was no use because I already lost too much blood. I’m dying. My eyes slowly started to close and all I saw was that same man standing over me smiling and whispering the same line over and over again. I heard it playing through my head.

“Goodbye Tigma.”

------------------

            When I opened my eyes I almost expected to see a bright light waiting for me, but that’s not what I saw. I was back in my bedroom. I raised my shirt to reveal my chest, but there wasn't even a scar. It was so real I couldn’t have made it all up. I thought it was all a dream, but I sat up in bed and glanced around my room. My clothes from yesterday were on the floor. I walked over to the clothes and picked them up. My jeans looked perfectly fine, and when I picked up my shirt I was hoping for the same thing. My white shirt was red with blood. What was going on? How could I have recovered from a gunshot wound to the chest? It didn’t make any sense. No one could survive it. My phone started blaring It's Your Life by Francesca Battistelli and I slowly got up to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Where have you been?!" my mom started yelling.

"Mom? What happened last night?" I asked.

"I'd like to ask you the same thing. You didn't come home until after midnight"

"Oh, uh I don't know. I'm sorry mom I have to go. There are some things to figure out" I told her.

            I clicked my phone closed and opened my computer. When I was 14 my parents bought me my own laptop and I started a blog named Tiger’s Eye. I made a post three or four times a week. I didn’t know what else to do. I’ve been homeschooled for most of my life so blogging was the only way to get out in the world other than sneaking out at night. There were only two things open on my computer: my email and my blog. I had one new, unknown email.

                                    Rolla,

                        Wish I had time to explain. Burn your clothes, leave no trace. Hide.

I woke up the next morning sweating with my mom standing over me.

“Late?” I asked.

“You’re actually early today.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Brittany’s parents apologized. They said they were wrong. You can see her again.”

“Really?!” I got up and hugged her, “Thank you!”

“You’re welcome,” she laughed, “Now get ready.”