Chapter 26 - Double Lives Begin

            Creating double lives proved to be harder than we thought it was going to be. We began by changing our looks. When Carter moved in he got a new Tigma look and threw out most of his human clothes. I went to the salon to color and cut my hair for a new look to represent this new chapter in my life. At least that’s what people needed to believe. Carter and I became perfect students at school. We were never late and we never skipped and went to the library almost every day until our homework was finished. We went to the library three or four days a week and the other days we went to Carter’s house so we could go to the palace or the chosen ones’ house. We went there on days we didn’t have a lot of homework so we could practice our magic when we finished.

            Brittany stopped talking to me and unsurprisingly she convinced Mike to stop talking to us too. I could feel them staring at us in school and giving us looks when they passed us on the street. After I told my mom the news she came home a couple days later to tell me that Brittany’s parents talked to her at work to let her know the situation. Brittany is still seen as the rebel because she continues on what they believe is a rebellious path. It seems like I gave myself a good reputation after Carter came into the picture. Her parents believed I’ve straightened out and asked mom how she did it. I think they were disappointed when they learned it was because I met Carter. I knew it was only because they want to help Brittany. I feel bad for her because she’s right about the situation, but nobody will ever believe her. Carter and I have more power than she does because we’ve controlled everybody in the city with just a few simple spells.

            I went to the library like we always do on Wednesdays and sat at an empty seat while I waited for Carter to show up with our drinks. I saw Mike walk in but didn’t bother to look at him until he sat down next to me.

I looked up from my books, “Are you going to talk to me now?”

He sighed, “It’s not right for me to ignore you because of what Brittany said.”

“You just realized this?”

He smiled, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I smiled, “I can understand why you did.”

“Can I ask you a question though? Will you be honest with me?”

I nodded.

“Did she stop talking to you because of Carter?”

“It’s more than that,” I replied, “I changed after I met Carter. It changes you Mike in ways you won’t even expect, but it does. It makes you grow up. I don’t just have school to figure out now I also have to figure out my new life with Carter. Believe it or not we’ll be married in a few years so we have to figure out how to become a family. All Brittany has to deal with is school.”

Mike nodded, “I can see your point. Do you forgive me?”

I hugged him, “Of course I can forgive you Mike. Thank you for still talking to me.”

“I think Brittany’s missing part of the point anyway.”

“What do you mean?” I asked him.

“She’ll be like that someday too. If she had met the right guy for her before you met Carter then it would be you that’s mad at her.”

“Yeah… I guess that could be true.”

Carter walked in and set our drinks on the table, “Hey Mike.”

“Hey,” he smiled, “I came by to apologize to both of you. Brittany is wrong and if I’m your real friend I should stick by both of you.”

Carter nodded, “Thanks man.”