Chapter 48 - Wedding of the Ages

            I would like to say that the wedding ended up being small with only a few people there but when a camera crew showed up there was no hope of that. The camera crew set up in the first ballroom where the wedding would be held. The other employees were setting up in the second ballroom where the reception would be held. The decorators spread white and purple flowers around both rooms and I think it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. There were white chairs for all the guests, and there were a lot of them, and my only job for the day was getting ready. Rolla and Topanga assured me that they had everything else handled. I sat in my room once I had put my dress on trying not to break down. Mom made this dress for me. She said she had been designing it from the moment I met Carter. It's the most beautiful dress I will ever see in my entire life. Mom truly had a gift.

Brittany came into my room in the midst of the breakdown. "What happened?" she next to me making sure she put her arm around me. "Is it about your mom?"

I nodded, "I put on the dress and I just remember how hard she worked on it. She spent a long time making this dress. It's the most incredible dress I have ever seen. Mom definitely outdid herself with this dress."

"She did," Brittany smiled, "Your mom was talented. I'm sure the people will miss her."

"Yeah," I tried to smile, "I just can't believe she's gone. She worked so hard to plan the wedding with Rolla and she designed this incredible dress for me. I wish she were here to walk me down the aisle."

"Who did you ask to walk you down the aisle?"

"I asked Pilote. We stayed up talking one night and the topic came up so I asked if he would do it. It isn't the same but I know I have to keep going."

"I'm glad you've realized it."

"I forgot to tell you," I said, "I did some research the other day and your ancestors were pretty well known. I understand now why you fought in the war."

She smiled, "My family said they did some research on it but never told me any serious details."

"You had this ancestor named Layal Lisela. She was one of the chosen ones that died in the war. Her siblings ended up having children which explains how your family lived on past the war," I handed her a letter.  

"What is this?"

"Rolla gave it to me to give to you. It's the letter Layal wrote to Rolla and to her family when she went to fight in the war."

I gave Brittany a minute to read it and she started crying half way through. She finally smiled, "She was amazing. She was quiet yet determined and strong. She never let anything hold her back."

"Layal is the connection. Layal is the reason Mike's family ended up here. Mike's family went up there for a short trip the other day and met his family. They gave them some books and explained their history. The Carter family came up and the Lisela family came up. Layal explained that she wanted both of her families to meet someday and they did. Her adopted family came down here to meet your family and they ended up getting trapped down here. Layal was adopted by that family which means according to the family line—"

"Mike and I are related?"

I nodded, "Technically yes. His family ended up getting stuck down here merging their family with the Tigmas. I found it ironic that both of her families turned out to be Tigmas eventually. I thought you should know. You can keep the letter."

She hugged me, "It's your wedding day and here we are talking about me."

"That's okay," I laughed, "I wanted to give it to you before I forgot."