Chapter 21 - Moving In

“Do I need all of this stuff?” Carter asked.

I laughed, “Your house will look so cool!”

“What about these clothes? Why so many?”

“Okay so not all of it is a necessity, but come on?! How awesome is all this stuff?”

He laughed and held my hand, “I need to find a guy to help me buy stuff for this house.”

“No!” I laughed more, “Your aunt will love the house.”

“True,” he let go of my hand to put it around my shoulders, “and I love you so I think I can handle buying a few extra decorations for my house.”

“Yay!”

“Did your mom ask about us again?” Carter changed the subject.

“Yes, she always does. She’ll probably ask us both tonight since you’re staying over. You are still staying over right?”

“Yeah, you can help bring some of this stuff back to my house and I can pack a bag of clothes before going back to your house. What does she want to know?”

“When we’re getting married because Murera tradition states that people get married within a year or two of meeting each other so she expects you’ll propose soon. Down here, we know we’re meant to be together immediately, except they don’t know it’s about soul mates. They know they love each other and they want to be together. Once they know that they’ll propose and get married in a year or two. Mom figures we’ve already known each other a little while so we should be getting prepared.”

“That’s good to know.”

“How does marriage work in the human world?”

“It takes longer, that’s for sure. Usually people date for a few years, sometimes they break up, and sometimes they get married. If they do get married there’s no guarantee it will last because most marriages end in divorce. The wedding planning itself can take a couple years depending on the couple’s preference.”

I shook my head, “That’s crazy.”

“We should probably follow Murera’s rules though because they will get suspicious if we don’t.”

“Yeah we should,” I agreed, “and be prepared for all the questions my mom is going to throw at you.”

“You can help me practice. I talked to my aunt and uncle about it too. I have to tell your mom enough so she feels like she knows me, but I can’t lead on that I’m from a different world.”

“Exactly, and we can talk to Brittany and Mike if we need to.”

“What do they remember?” he asked. “After we did that spell?”

“The only thing they forgot was your house. I’m not sure how that spell managed to work or how the one Rolla did works, but they remember you’re not from this world.”

“I told her about Brittany and Mike so maybe she left them out of the spell.”

“Maybe,” I replied, “because that would be good. I would feel terrible if their memories kept getting erased because I know Brittany would hate it. Brittany wants to know what’s going on and I don’t feel comfortable keeping secrets from her.”

“I’m sure Rolla knows that.”

“You’re right, and I talked to Rolla a lot the other day. She understands the loneliness and wanting to have friends to trust. She had the chosen ones and she told them everything. They became her family probably more than her biological family because she spent so much time with them.”