Chapter 13 - The Human World

“These are uncomfortable,” I whined.

“You don’t have to wear them forever,” Carter told me. “You only have to wear them until you learn to change your eyes to human.”

“How is that even possible?” I asked.

He shrugged, “It’s a skill that takes practice so we don’t scare the humans. We have to be able to blend in with them otherwise we’re putting ourselves in danger. So you need to wear these contacts.”

“Fine,” I gave in, “but I don’t like them.”

“I know, but it’s necessary.”

“I know. Where are we going first?”

“I thought we could go downtown and I can show you some of the stores. Just don’t act too surprised or enthusiastic.  Act a little surprised and excited, but don’t go overboard. We are going for the tourist look not the alien look.”

I laughed, “I have no idea what you’re saying but okay.”

“I forgot,” he chuckled, “You don’t exact have tourists.”

I shook my head, “Nope.”

“Just don’t go overboard with excitement.”

“Got it,” I nodded. “I can still take pictures right?”

“Yes you can still take pictures.”

“Good because I promised Brittany I would show her what it looked like up here. We have to take pictures of us together too. I want a framed picture to put in my room.”

“We’ll take that picture in my room so nobody will know it wasn’t taken in Murera.”

“Good idea.”

“Come on,” he took my hand, “time to explore a little.”

“Can you tell me about it while we walk there?”

“Sure, what else do you want to know?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “Everything?”

“It’s a busy city and it’s like that all the time. There are lots of lights and billboards everywhere. There are also businesses for practically everything you can think of. Anything you might want to buy you can find it here.”

“It sounds fun. There’s probably always something to do. You never get bored.”

“I still get bored.”

“How is that possible? It sounds amazing.”

“Yeah it’s fun I guess, but I’ve lived here my whole life. I think Murera is exciting, but you would probably say it’s boring.”

“That’s because it is,” I said.

He chuckled, “But not to me because it’s somewhere new.”

I smiled, “I get what you’re saying. Living in one place your whole life that place is not as exciting as what newcomers would think it is.”

“Exactly, that’s what I’m trying to say.”

            I knew when we had reached the city when billboards appeared every few blocks. I saw the screens, lights, and advertisements everywhere. The skyscrapers were covered with billboards or windows. Music played from every direction. We turned right and crossed the street to another road. Carter is right about all the stores; the street was lined with them. I had to look in the windows to figure out what they were selling. In Murera the names of the stores always resemble whatever they are selling; most of these names have nothing to do with what they are selling. I don’t understand it.