Chapter 4 - Pair of Carters

Chapter 4 – Pair of Carters

“This is incredible,” I smiled back, “I still don’t understand the description of the movie though.”

“I don’t either,” she looked at me, “Why would they use the words ‘human world’ or ‘rebel’ or ‘impossible impact’ and ‘inspiring true story’? Maybe her death caused a huge uproar and inspired others to find answers.”

“But she wouldn’t have told anyone. The anonymous email in my dream said to hide and to never leave a trace that any of it happened. Rolla wouldn’t take the risk of anyone finding out after an email like that.”

“How do you know?” she asked, “You don’t even know who this Rolla girl is. She could be anybody.”

“Yes but I was in her dream. I was in her head. I felt everything she felt and I was a part of her. I know for a fact that she wouldn’t have told the world that she had died once. She would have listened to that email no matter who it was from.”

“You’re right. If I was in someone’s head I would be able to tell whether they would do something or not too.”

“We’re in deep aren’t we?” I asked her.

She sighed, “Lily you can’t back out now. We’ve already broken enough rules.”

“I know I know,” I stopped her, “But I never understood how serious this really is. I mean, we’re messing with the law here and we don’t even have a good fight if we get caught.”

“Then we won’t get caught,” she simply stated.

“How can we keep this up?”

“We’ll have to become spies.”

“Spies?” I looked at her dumfounded, “What are spies?”

“My cousin explained it to me once. It’s someone who has fancy technology and gadgets and sneaks around without getting caught.”

“Did he make it up?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged, “He always refused to talk after that.”

“We’re only 16,” I reminded her, “We can’t hide this from our parents.”

“Murera law says that at 16 teenagers are officially considered adults. We still have to live with our parents until we graduate, but we’re still legal adults. We don’t have to tell them anything if we don’t want.”

“I guess I’m just scared.”

She chuckled, “It’s understandable considering the circumstances. We’ve never broken the rules before.”

We stayed there silent for a while, “I don’t think anybody has,” I finally said.

            Nothing needed to be said after that. We finished our research in our own thoughts reflecting on the truth of my words. I packed up my things and left after an hour and walked out the library doors. There was someone at the bottom of the steps. The same guy that disappeared in the wall a few weeks ago.

“I knew I’d find you here,” he told me when I walked down the steps.

“Who are you?” I asked him.

“I should ask you the same thing.”

“I’m Lily.”

“Well Lily, I’m Carter.”

I smiled, “That’s my last name.”

He smiled back, “We have something in common.”

“I have to ask you something.”