Chapter 23 - Time to Practice Some Magic

“Can we? Come on Carter!” I whined.

He laughed, “Do you insist on doing magic for everything?”

“Yes! I am fascinated. Let’s go!”

“Okay,” he continued laughing, “I’ll do some magic with you.”

“Yay!”

            Brittany came with us to Carter’s new house for lunch and Mike tagged along at the last minute. Rolla gave us a spell book to take to his house after doing a spell to create the perfect hiding place for it. She created a secret room connected Carter’s house with the chosen ones’ house. Behind a bookshelf in the hallway of his house was another room. I decorated the room with furniture and a bookshelf and another hallway connected to that room led right to the chosen ones house. It was a long hallway followed by three sets of stairs before a doorway leading to a bedroom in the chosen ones house. Rolla said the bedroom originally belonged to a girl named Selma. She knew Selma wouldn’t mind. Apparently Selma did everything she could to help someone else. I hurried to the room behind the bookcase and memorized the spell I wanted to do before returning to the kitchen where Carter, Brittany, and Mike were eating. I took Carter’s hand and closed my eyes.

“Wait for it,” I said.

What spell are we doing?

The food one.

Seriously?

Think about it! I whined and I heard him laughing.

“Oh my God,” I heard Brittany exclaim.

I opened my eyes and it worked because the table was covered in food.

“Yay!” I smiled.

“How’d you do that?” Mike asked.

“Let’s eat,” Carter said ignoring the question.

Brittany smiled shaking her head.

“What?” I asked her.

“You really are fascinated with all of this.”

I nodded, “Definitely. I mean look at this! In a less than a minute we had a full course meal in front of us.”

“Lily’s been fascinated with practicing our magic since she learned we had it.”

“Technically it was since we performed our first spell,” I clarified. “I wish you two would have seen it because it was incredible. The way everything lit up as we said the spell, I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“It did look pretty amazing watching you two do that spell just now,” Brittany said.

Mike nodded in agreement.

“Let’s eat,” I changed the subject, “I’m hungry and we only have an hour for lunch.”

We started eating and tried to keep Brittany and Mike up to date with what was happening, but it has been proving to get harder and harder. Every time a memory spell is cast Brittany and Mike forget something else, placing a hole in their memory that we have to try to fill. Lately they’ve been really confused with all the holes being placed in their memories and I don’t blame them. I think I would feel like I’m going crazy if I was in their position. I wish we didn’t have to erase everyone’s memories. I wish I could rely on people like Brittany to talk to, but I know I can’t anymore. Until we release all the memory spells from her brain talking to her will never be the same. She is never going to understand. Throughout lunch Brittany and Mike kept asking for reminders when they didn’t remember something. Eventually Carter decided to change the subject. Carter and I had a free period at the end of the day so we went to the library to talk. We snuck into the forbidden section of the library where we knew we could be alone.