Chapter 11 - New World Bound

            With the extra time I had before meeting Carter I decided to skip school and met with Selita and Clementine to hang out in town. Brittany went to school and we left the school to shop downtown.

“This!” Selita yelled across the store. “You need this!”

“Carter would freak if I wore that!” I yelled back.

She walked across the store and handed it to me, “in a good way. Now go.”

“Fine,” I smiled. “I’ll get it.”

“Then change into it,” Clementine said.

“What? Now?”

“Yes,” Selita agreed, “It’ll be a great way for him to see you. It’ll also be good because we get to see his reaction.”

“Do it for us,” Clementine replied, “we’re leaving tomorrow and we want to see you wearing this.”

“Okay,” I smiled. “I’ll wear it.”

“Awesome!” Selita screeched. “Let’s pay for it and get you changed.”

“It’s almost time to meet this gorgeous guy,” Clementine added.

            The three of us walked to the cash register as I paid for the dress. It’s a short black with cut outs on both sides. It was actually perfect I thought as I changed. I put black boots to match with it. It’s one of the newest dresses here and I didn’t want to stand out too much up there. The last thing I need is someone suspecting something about me; especially his friends. Changing into the dress made us late so we quickly left the store and walked towards the palace. The palace that no one else could see… still. Carter was already there waiting for me. His eyes practically popped out of his head when he saw me. It got tough to hold in my laughter when I heard what he was thinking. At least they were all good thoughts. Selita and Clementine both bumped me with huge grins on their faces.

“I approve,” Selita whispered to me.

“Hey,” Carter smiled.

I smiled back, “Hey. These are my friends Selita and Clementine.”

“Nice to meet you,” he greeted them.

“You too,” they grinned.

“Let me take your bag.”

            I gave Carter my bag and stood by him so I could face Selita and Clementine. They could sense something was off. They always did. I was hoping once they met him they would just leave and go back to their house, but they didn’t. They just stood there staring at us. They were either waiting for us to leave or waiting for me to explain. I chose the second option.

“Here’s the thing,” I started explaining, “I lied about him being from the other side of town.”

Selita nodded, “We figured that when you started walking the opposite way.”

“So what’s the truth?” Clementine asked.

“He’s not…”

“From this world,” Carter finished.

Selita laughed, “Yeah right.”

I sighed, “You can’t tell anyone what you see today. If anyone asks then you tell them that I met him in town and we walked across town. I’ll explain next time we see each other but I need you to keep my secret.”

“Does Brittany know?” Clementine asked.

I nodded, “Go to her in the library and ask. She’ll tell you what you need to know.”