Chapter 24 - Friendship Fading

Note: Did I surprise you with the announcement of the third book in  this series? What do you think Topanga's story is like? :)

Chapter 24 - Friendship Fading

            The weekend finally came and it was time for the first official dinner with my mom and Carter. I have to say I’ve been dreading this because I have no idea what my mom plans on saying to him. She spent a couple hours making dinner and setting everything up. I don’t remember the last time we’ve even had a meal at the table like this.

“Did you get moved in?” mom asked Carter.

“I did,” Carter nodded, “My aunt and uncle are really excited about it too. I finished moving their things today. Are you still coming tomorrow?”

“I wouldn’t miss it,” she smiled. “I am excited to finally be meeting them.”

“They’re excited too. They are excited to meet you and have this new opportunity on this side of town.”

“I’m sure it must be nerve wrecking for them because this side of town is very different from the other side.”

Carter nodded, “It is pretty different but differences can be good right?”

            Carter and I spent days covering his back story. Carter even went up to visit his aunt and uncle and quizzed them on their new back story. Rolla and Pilote made a few visits too and told them everything they need to know. We are sneaking his aunt and uncle in through our hidden passageways. We only invited my mom, Brittany, and Mike to the house warming party because we didn’t want to overwhelm Felicity and Dennis with too many people at once.

“Are you okay Lily?” Mom asked me, causing me to snap out of my thoughts.

“Yeah,” I smiled, “I’m fine.”

            The truth is I wasn’t fine, not even close. I’m heartbroken over what happened with Brittany. I tried to question her about what she remembered and she only remembered the story Carter and I created. She thinks Carter and I met when he came over from the other side of town one day and now he’s decided to move over here for me. Now my mom thinks Brittany and I are having a falling out and I have no idea how to explain it to her.

“You two should get going,” Mom said, “But it was nice having dinner and formally meeting you Carter. I can’t wait for you and Lily to start your lives together.”

Carter smiled, “I can’t either. Thank you for your approval. It means a lot to me.”

“I can see that you care about my daughter and she cares about you too. That’s all that matters to me.”

“I’ll be home later,” I told her.

“Don’t worry about it,” Mom hugged me, “Have a fun weekend.”

“Really?” I asked her.

She nodded, “And everything with Brittany will be fine okay?”

“Thank you mom,” I smiled, “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

            Carter and I stood up and went to my room so I could get a few things. I quickly packed my bag and Carter shut the door behind us.

“What did your mom mean?” he asked.

“I’m surprised you didn’t read my mind?”

He smiled, “I was concentrated on winning over your mom.”