Chapter 6 - Death Strikes One

Chapter 6 – Death Strikes One

            Mom came in and woke us up at seven o’clock the next morning. I got dressed and Brittany walked to her house to get ready too. We met each other on the sidewalk like usual.

“You’re meeting Carter after school right?” Brittany asked.

“I think so. I’m gonna wait by the library. That’s where he found me before.”

“I’ll wait with you and meet him then study in the library.”

“I thought you wanted to come with us?” I asked her.

“Lily you don’t think I saw the look on your face the first time I said it?”

I put my head down and looked at the ground, “I don’t know what’s happening to me.”

“You just like him,” she told me.

We turned the corner on the street our school was on and continued walking.

“That’s not how it works and you know it,” I said, “Liking someone is serious. Love is serous. I can’t just like him.”

“But he’s from a different world,” She reminded me, “That makes the rules different.”

“I guess.”

“Stop being so depressed. You’re in school now. Get your mind off him.”

Yeah that was going to be easy. I haven’t stopped thinking about him since the other day. I went to my classes and finished my project with Alicia. The teacher loved it and passed us. I got out of school early and waited for Brittany by her locker.

“That took forever!” She complained as she got to her locker.

“Are you ready to go now?” I asked.

“Yeah let’s go.”

            We walked out of the school with our arms linked. The library was only a few blocks from the school so it was a short walk. Carter got there before I did. He had a hat and sunglasses on.

“Hey,” I smiled, “Why are you wearing sunglasses?”

“So you’ve heard of them?”

“That’s real funny,” I laughed.

“Who is this?” he asked, directed toward Brittany. This was the moment, I thought. Jealous raged up in me.

“This is my best friend Brittany. Brittany, this is Carter.”

“Nice to meet you,” he nodded to her.

“You too,” she smiled at me.

“Where are we going?” Carter asked me, looking right back at me. Maybe I didn’t have anything to worry about. He only looked at Brittany a few seconds before looking back at me.

I smiled, “Where we went before? I liked it there.”

“Sure,” he smiled.

“I’ll see you later,” Brittany interrupted, “Studying.”

“Bye.”

            Brittany waved goodbye to us and Carter and I started walking to the edge of town. We sat down again the wall and Carter winced in pain.

“Are you okay?” I asked him.

“Remember when I told you about boxing?”

I nodded, “You said it was like fighting.”