Chapter 28 - Sheriff's Journals

“We need a plan,” Carter said, “We can erase his memory. We have his journals.”

“Yes but he will still suspect. Based on what I’ve read in these journals his brain can’t handle many more spells. It’ll destroy him. Our magic can’t fix it this time.”

“What do we do?”

“We need a plan,” I said, “We should corner him. Sit him down and talk to him about what he knows.”

“But we already know what he knows.”

“Yes but we have to talk to him face to face. We need him to realize that we’re onto him.”

“He’s going to tell everybody he’s the sheriff. He’ll have us arrested.”

“But it won’t last for long even if he does have us arrested. He’s breaking the laws himself with these journals. He’s in just as much trouble as we are. Besides, Rolla and Pilote would never allow us to sit in jail for a long period of time.”

“So we skip school today and corner him at his office.”

I nodded, “Do you have a better plan?”

He shook his head, “The plan works for me.”

“Good,” I replied, “And let’s take his journals and my file with us too.”

We caught the sheriff by surprise. We snuck into the building and walked right into his office as he shuffled through his cabinets. I’m guessing he didn’t expect to find his journals gone. Carter locked his office door behind us. When the sheriff heard the click of the lock he turned to us with his eyes wide. 

“Can I help you two?” he asked.

“You know why we’re here,” I told him. “We found some things that are yours. You’re onto us.”

Once he knew what we were talking about he stopped shuffling through the drawers and sat at his desk, “You have my attention.”

“We found your journals,” Carter said, “and we found them very interesting.”

“We also think it’s interesting that you thought to put a camera in the library,” I added.

“You’re here to kill me.”

I laughed, “Sheriff you’ve known me my entire life you know I’m not a killer. I am curious to why you think Carter and I are criminals though.”

“Every time I have a blackout I forget something about your or Carter. Every incident I have forgotten that I write down leads back to you. I suspected you so I put cameras up in the library to see if you would break the law and I was right.”

“But why the library?” Carter asked.

“Everyone talks around town about you two. There are only a few places you hang out and the library is one of them. I planned on putting cameras up in other places if the library didn’t work but it did. I could put you in jail right now.”

“You could,” I said, “But aren’t you curious about why we were there? Aren’t you curious to what we are up to? I can assure all of your guesses so far are wrong.”

“What do you mean?”

“We’re not criminals!” I assured him, “Yes we’ve broken a few laws here and there but we’ve had permission to do that. Your blackouts aren’t happening for the reason you think they are. The deeper you dig into this the more you’ll wish you hadn’t. You’re not ready for the truth sheriff, I can promise you that.”