Chapter 12 - Family of Tigmas

“Aunt… Uncle… This is Lily.”

“Hi,” I shook each of their hands. “I’m Lily Carter.”

“Carter?” His aunt asked.

I nodded.

She shook my hand again, “It’s an honor.”

“Huh?”

“Aunt,” Carter said, “She doesn’t know.”

“Doesn’t know what?” I asked.

“I’ll tell you later.”

“No,” I shook my head, “Tell me now.”

“I’m sorry,” his aunt said, “I just assumed you knew. I guess Murera isn’t what it used to be. I’m Felicity.”

“And I’m Dennis,” his uncle said.

“It’s nice to meet both of you, but what are you talking about?”

“Come into the library with us,” Felicity said, “Because there’s something you should see.”

“Okay,” I agreed.

I looked at Carter. What’s happening? What didn’t you tell me? Why are you hiding things? I thought being soul mates and all meant I knew everything about you.

 I’m sorry. I didn’t want to overwhelm you with a bunch of information. My family used to be friends with your family… or the ancestors of your family I guess. My family kept journals and records of their past lives.

What does this mean for me?

It means there’s something else you should know about your family.

Like what? What’s happening?

My aunt explains it better.

Felicity set a book on the table in their library. “I’m sure Carter just explained it to you, but our ancestors kept journals. They’re very important to Tigmas.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because there are some things that a King and Queen will do in order to protect their people; with magic in our veins everything is possible. It became important to some Tigmas to keep journals so they knew what they went through in case they couldn’t remember one day.”

“What do you mean couldn’t remember?”

“Let me continue first,” she said, “I’ve read and studied these books as my husband did. Carter’s read a few but not as many as us. That’s why he couldn’t continue explaining. He only knows what we’ve told him. According to our ancestors the Carter family is royalty.”

“Royalty? You mean I’m …”

“Yes,” she nodded, “your family was the kings and queens of the Tigmas. They always have been. You are royalty.”

“But we’re not now,” I explained. “We don’t have a King and Queen.”

She smiled, “Yes you do.”

“Huh?”

“Lily,” Carter said getting my attention, “Do you know that really old house we went through to get up here?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“That was their house.”

“Whose?”

“Your family,” Dennis continued, “Your family and what they called ‘The Chosen Ones’. That was their house. The golden palace you see would be your family’s house where the King and Queen live. There’s a reason you can see it and nobody else can.”