Chapter 46 - Funeral Arrangements

            Everybody continued being extra nice to me around Murera because they knew I was grieving. To be honest I wish they wouldn't. I wish they could act like they normally do around me. Knowing it's only sympathy made me feel worse. I became angry at them for treating me like I was broken. One day I was so angry that I ran away to the human world and ended up in a hair salon. I walked out with black hair and bangs. It was an impulsive decision but in that moment it felt right. In that moment I needed a change. I couldn't handle looking like the same person that watched her mother die. Everybody is still cautious and I hate it. The only ones that are not cautious are Carter and the other Samoultes. Rolla, Pilote, Topanga, and Sam have all lost their parents before so they know how I feel. Carter obviously does too so they know how much I hate being treated like I'm fragile. They've left me alone... except Carter.

            It did not take long to arrange the funeral. Everybody became immediately flexible to the schedule I had planned for the ceremony. Carter, Brittany, and Mike went through pictures with me and helped create boards to hang up at the church. I picked out a couple of mom's favorite songs for them to play and Rolla arranged for a plaque to be made with the picture I chose. She left a special place in the hallway for it to be hung after the funeral.

            The morning of the funeral I spent in my room. I debated all morning what to wear and I finally settled on medium length black dress. I kept it simple and did not bother doing my make-up. I will end up crying it away even if I tried to put something on. Carter stayed with me all night and woke up early to get ready for the funeral before returning and resting on my bed while waiting for me to get ready.

"You can go ahead of me you know," I told him. "You don't have to wait."

"Yes I do," he said, "because it is your mother's funeral. I am going to be by your side the whole time. I won't let go of your hand."

I took a breath knowing I was on the verge of breaking down any moment. There's no doubt I will be a complete mess during the funeral. I don't feel so whole anymore. A huge part of me is missing without my mom.

"You won't let go?" I asked him.

He stood up and put his arms around me from behind, "I won't let go. When you break down I'll be right there to hold you."

I nodded holding in the tears, "Okay."

"Come here," he said opening his arms.

            I turned around and walked right into them. I fit perfectly in his arms like I always do. I tried not to cry knowing when I start I won't be able to stop. I sobbed lightly taking in Carter's scent, instantly making me feel a little better. He comforts me. Him being here comforts me and the cologne he always wears comforts me. I pulled away and he held my face smiling at me. He's hoping it'll cheer me up. I tried to smile, I really did, but I'm afraid I didn't succeed. He kissed my forehead instead.

"I love you. Are you ready?"

I nodded, "I think so. I love you too."

            At least twenty people got to the church before we did. Even Rolla and Pilote were ahead of us. Rolla joined me as soon as she saw me walk in. Pilote, Topanga, and Sam quickly joined our side and we all stayed in a group by the door to greet everybody coming in.

Brittany hugged me as she arrived, "How are you?"

I shrugged, "You?"

"I don't know," she shook her head. "She was amazing."

"Yeah," I nodded, "She was."

"I'm going to sit down but I'll be right here."

"Okay."