15

He knew that he should not take the nanites sample from the lab without telling anyone, but he thought that it was too late now, since the big boss asked for all of them to go to the lab to be interviewed since there seemed to be some 'misplaced' samples. Would they give him to the police? But even if they did send him to the Carabinieri, his experiment was a success, maybe if they took it into consideration… 

"You're up next." Pei Ming, the Head of Security and his cousin, patted his back to reassure him. "Everything is going to be fine, cuz, no need to be worried since the big boss only wants to check about something."

Yeah, and that was exactly why he was worried.

Pei Xiu entered the lab where the interview was being held, and he expected to see the big boss there with hordes of lawyers, but instead there was only one woman and one man whom he knew as the big boss' brother, some kind of a big shot in the law enforcement circle. Now, he was confused.

"Pei Xiu, right? Please sit down, we won't take long." The woman spoke to him with a pleasant voice and a smile on her face, while the man had his poker face. "So, tell me more about yourself." She spoke as soon as Pei Xiu sat down in front of her.

"Me?" He was flabbergasted. What kind of interrogation technique was this? Good cop, bad cop? 

"Yes. I want to know if you have family, a friend, girlfriend, boyfriend, someone special in your life?"

"Well, not really, I spent most of my time here, working, and when I'm not, I'm back home sleeping."

"Not really means that you do have someone. Tell me more about her, or him."

Pei Xiu knew when he was pushed to the corner with no way out, but he thought this was not that dangerous, admitting that he did have someone special in his life.

"Well, she was a very kind and generous soul, and she was my best friend from childhood, and I will do anything to make her happy, despite all the… illness she had." He didn't mean to tell them that, but it was something about the woman, and probably his own tiredness of having to keep everything to himself.

"Good. So, tell me. How's the nanites working for her?"

The statement really put Pei Xiu in a very shocked state. The casualness of the question, the smile, and he detected no malice at all behind the question, but still…

"Ah, don't worry, we're not going to report you, or sack you if that's what you're worried about. We're just curious if it's working, since, you know, we haven't got approval to do a test on human subjects."

Pei Xiu did not know how to react, after all, he was a scientist, not a big mastermind who wanted to rule the world or something like that, and he also did not known as his quick thinking or his wit, but he was the best in his field, and he knew that.

"She really means that, we want to know about your friend. Is she better? Worse? Why don't you bring her here so we can monitor her better, instead of you running around doing tests outside, which could cause a leak. We do have a facility and personnel to monitor Miss Ban Yue twenty four seven, rather than you do it yourself, which obviously takes a toll on you." The man, Lan Wangji, that's his name, spoke to him in a quiet and calm tone, as if reading from a book.

"I–I thought you're looking for a thief? A corporate espionage? At least that's what my cousin told me." Now Pei Xiu was confused.

"Well, we did," Wei Wuxian smiled at the young man, who was obviously in love, and ready to sacrifice himself to protect the girl, "but we've found the mole, and we're monitoring them at the moment. So, here's the thing, I want you to bring your sweetheart in, and we will monitor her to see if there's another effect of the nanites, although I doubt it since Chen Yu would say something if it did, and when there's nothing wrong with her, you're free to go to live your life, after signing an NDA, of course."