Part 40

"Interesting," Was all Thranduil said when the full recount was given to him. He had known that the young little creature his son had found was unique from the moment he had seen him, yet it would seem that there were as of yet more interesting things to be uncovered about the boy. He was curious about just how many things that the young Draco was hiding. How much power did he have? How capable was he? Despite the fact that he seemed to be a novice at weaponry, he had still bested one of his Guard. Impressive as it was, the boy was clearly smart, and incredibly cunning. Thranduil definitely was capable of respecting such things. He reminded him so painfully of Legolas, when the other was far younger. Determined, secretive, and Thranduil definitely saw that hint of mischief. He knew that wanting to know more about him was going to cause problems, perhaps. It was obvious that he was wary of him, scared more like. 

Many were scared of Thranduil, he knew that. He knew that he was intimidating, and it gave him quite a bit of pride to know this. Seeing other's nervous fear and anxiety when they were forced to speak with their King, it was something that he would forever revel in. Not necessarily the habit of a good king, his father would recoil in horror should he figure this out, but his father was not here, nobody was, but him. The fear that his subjects had of him also kept them obedient, so he supposed that he could be allowed this joy at least partially. There was something...different about this new...addition that his son had brought, that Thranduil could not stop but to admit was interesting. Something which continued to get interesting the further that Thranduil pressed him.

It was painfully obvious to Thranduil that the child was scared of him. Perhaps even more so than some of his own subjects were, but despite that he seemed to have no issue speaking to him on a level ground when he was forced to do so. More often than not, however, the youth just backed down with a bowed head, and hid his smile under his deference. It was fascinating to see, and even more so to experience himself. Draco seemed to be naturally obedient to him, but there were times, Thranduil saw them, that there was something more hidden in his eyes. A sort of, recollection. It was as though he was remembering something, or someone, and in those times Thranduil often saw the defiant side of the child, which was easily tempered out with but a look and perhaps a few words, but he could not help but wonder...

Then there was the matter of the young one's relations with his son, of course. He knew many enjoyed Legolas' attentions, and it was not as though Legolas was necessarily a flirt, but he did know that his wayward child loved to tease the other elves, and elleth. He knew Legolas was curious about this Draco character, liked him to some extent, even. It was not often that Legolas brought someone home, even if Thranduil himself had gently pushed for it to happen. Not to mention he saw the glint in his son's eyes every time that he gazed upon the child. Thranduil was not entirely sure whether this was simply a passing tide as Tauril had been, or something more....serious.

It was a far better match than Tauril would have been, despite the fact that Thranduil did not have the intention of granting such a match in the first place, something that his son had been quite aware of. This new addition, however, well. He could not allow his son to associate with being of unknown origin in marriage. It was clear that Draco Malfoy was not entirely human, but what he was as of now was still a mystery to him. So similar to elves, and yet so different as well. Something pulled at his memory, but it was distant, unclear. Thranduil knew that it was a key but he was having a hard time unlocking the box which the memories were locked in. Trying as it was, he decided to keep the boy around. 

Perhaps that had been a rather reckless decision on his end, but he could not help but enjoy the entertainment that it offered. It was not as though Thranduil hid the fact that he was a sadistic King to some extent. He found that it was quite a bit of fun, if nothing else, to watch his son and Draco flounder. Though Draco did so more than Legolas, the latter knowing better, though Thranduil could not help but note despite the floundering, the boy did so with a grace that the King had thought he would never see. His confusion, obvious, fear, clear, and even still, he walked about with an elegance that Thranduil was helpless but to be impressed by. IT was fun to watch, but with this knowledge of a magic which the boy possessed...

He supposed it was not entirely unheard of. Though it was obvious that it was a different sort of magic than what Mithrindir had. Obviously, considering he did not use a conduit for it. So...elemental in a way. Thranduil found himself wanting to see it, yet also not wanting to alert the boy that he knew he had it. He wondered if there was a way that he could press him into using it. 

He knew one, but was not sure that it was worth it. He had seen how protective the creature got over his son, which was only to be expected. They seemed to get on quite well, and even when he questioned Haldir about it, the other admitted that the two were quite close. Thranduil was not sure if that unnerved him or angered him, or something else entirely. 

It was not hard to figure out a way that would easily manage to trigger the boy's magic. Thranduil wondered if it was worth the effort to do so...