43

Thranduil almost wanted to laugh, although he refrained himself. The boy would call it shameful. His level of ability of his magic, conscious or not, was absolute and to some great degree, horribly terrifying. Yet it was...to be shameful, should he not know. Thranduil was not sure if he was more horrified or shocked over such a discovery. They were a different people, with different expectation, however, and it was not unlikely that those had changed, faded and made into something different from what Thranduil knew. It was quite likely that, to Draco's own people, despite his youth, he was expected to have far more control than what he had now, though Thranduil was not entirely certain that was the case. There was just...something about the tone that hinted otherwise, and he was not entirely sure what it was that did so, but he knew...he knew that tone. 

"Shameful?" Thranduil repeated, rather than just scoffing, laughing, or mocking the poor boy. No, that would not do in this case. He would have to tread quite carefully, however, he was used to these sorts of things, and knew that it was not nearly as difficult as some may think. One just had to have enough patience and diligence and care in their words. "I think, perhaps it would be, if you had no control whatsoever." He admitted. "However, I do not think that it is shameful for you to have this much control at your age. It is quite impressive." Draco just rolled his eyes, ignoring the words, though they got to him, Thranduil could tell. It had Thranduil wondering if he was being honest, how much control was he expected to have so young? Even the magic of creatures had their limitations. They were not gods that had unending reserves. 

He did not state these things, not wanting to cause Draco's ire, at least not more than he had already, which was a lot. Normally, he would not hesitate given his joy at seeing the chaotic parts, but it was not the time for that currently, not at the moment. He could do more to irk the boy later, when he was not clinging to a precipice that Thranduil and Legolas were the only ones truly keeping him from falling from. Or flinging himself off, Thranduil felt was far more likely. The boy was not exactly the most mentally stable, but then again, very few were. Particularly in these times. 

"Either way, we have gotten off topic," Thranduil said regally, drilling his fingers along the wood of his chair, eyeing the boy with a tint of curiosity as he speaks this. "That is my fault, of course, but I would have us get back onto it. Why is that you hid your magic from me?" Draco shrugged, glaring at him deeply. 

"Technically," The boy spoke carefully, fully aware that these words were needed to be taken very seriously, and thought of very carefully. Thranduil was quite impressed, but at the same time, curious. He wanted to know what it was that caused the boy to know the political landscape and the routine of royalty so well, though he quite doubted that he would be privy to that information. Even if he asked it was quite likely that the boy would dodge the question. "I did not hide my magic, you simply never bothered to ask me about it, so I never told you. What am I supposed to do, read your mind about what I should and should not be informing you of?"

"No," Thranduil admitted, having to say that the boy was quite sneaky. He was not wrong, but that was not the point. "However, I would have thought such things would be obvious in my need to know. Clearly, they were not." That certainly got to Draco, though he merely clenched his teeth, obviously agitated. He had quite a bit of control over his emotions, it was admirable, and quite interesting. 

"Well, that was my mistake," Draco admitted, though it was clear that he did not want to. Thranduil just smirked. 

"However, I shall not hold it against you. I am actually quite impressed that you have managed to keep it from me for so long. Fortunate, for you, I may add. Is that not right, Legolas?" 

"It is, Father." Legolas admitted, his words soft, and Draco's fingers clenched tighter onto him as he spoke. An interesting development, to be sure, but not one that Thranduil particularly cared for. 

"As you can see, by word of my son. However, Legolas enjoys being around you, and I shall admit, you have piqued my curiosity. Therefore, I do request that you allow me to find you a teacher, but outside of that, I am not going to do anything." 

"A teacher?"