magic and legolas

Draco leaned back against the stone wall behind him, flipping a knife around in his hand. First, catching it by the blade, then handle, than blade and repeating the process to his heart's content. Legolas had lent him one of his, after Draco had asked him for one. While Legolas had looked somewhat confused, he had indulged him either way. Besides, he was unbearably bored. They had been stuck in this enclosure for what would seem like ages already. Though it was hard to tell. Little if any light filtered it's way so far down, and Draco did not particularly like the feeling of this place either. He did not want to bother any of the companions, and truly he did not really want to talk to any of them anyways, so it was a moot point in the first place.

 Gandalf, it would seem, besides not being able to guess the password to the mines, could not even remember the way through them in the first place, which was rather frustrating. Of course, Draco could theoretically just do a simple spell and all would be well, but he did not particularly wish to show the others his prowess in the things of magic. Though he had to admit, Gandalf's magic was...elementary, at best. Not even able to conjure fire which Draco felt was...pretty pathetic, and his ability to use anything was rather lacking...for instance, he was barely able to use a light spell. He supposed it made sense if one thought about the fact that there were no wands, or really and specialized training, but still. This person was supposed to be one of the three highest of wizarding power in middle earth? Seriously? It baffled him.

"You seem fairly contemplative." Legolas said softly, startling Draco slightly for a moment, before sitting besides him. Draco glanced at the beauty before him. He smiled. He stopped playing with the other's knife and handed it back to him. 

Even though Legolas looked a lot like his father, which had thrown him off quite a bit at the start, he acted nothing like him.Something which helped Draco really draw lines between the two. Not to mention, with Draco slowly coming to terms with the fact that his father was not here, that he was somewhere far off and would not be able to, in most cases, follow him here, the similarities in appearance were making him far less twitchy. He was comfortable around the Elf. More so than any of the others. He also enjoyed the other's company. It was refreshing. He enjoyed conversing with the other. Draco was practically sure that he was a Slytherin in the ways that it mattered. Or mayhaps a Ravenclaw. Either way he provided decent conversation, and Draco was sorely lacking just that.

"Just thinking," Draco replied gently his tone soft, partially so that their words did not echo through the chamber and partially because he did not really find himself wishing to be louder. His voice seemed to retain this...restrained edge to it, a silent hum in the bustle around them. Not something he could really help, but he found that it really did not matter much. "Gandalf is a wizard, correct?" Draco asked, not daring to look at Legolas. 

One thing that Draco had realized before much else was that Legolas was quite observant, things that would normally go unnoticed among his classmates and teachers would not when dealing with Elves. As such, Draco had to be incredibly careful with what he said, and how he said it, as well as what he portrayed. It could be rather difficult. 

"Yes," Legolas responded readily. "Though the proper name is Istari. Gandalf is not the best, but he is close." Draco hummed. Perhaps Gandalf was simply not trained enough. Or maybe he had not bothered to actively hone and cultivate his magical prowess. Mayhaps it was a combination of both at once.

"Interesting." Draco muttered under his breath, still staring in the distance, not looking at the Prince besides him. Legolas looked down at him, finally asking what he wanted to ask for a while now.

"Why the sudden curiosity?" Draco sighed. 

"It is not sudden, Your Highness, I am just fascinated I suppose." Legolas could tell there was something being hidden within the words.

"Draco," The Elf said, lowering his voice down a register, and softening it quietly. "You can tell me." Draco contemplated the other's words. Even though the elf had made no mention of keeping whatever he spoke a secret, he knew that the other would, unless it was necessary not to. After a little, he decided he may as well tell the elf.

"I can use magic, Your Highess," he whispered. Legolas stared at Draco, eyes unnervingly blank, but a bit wider than before, which was all that gave way his shock. He schooled his expression just as quickly and tilted his head to the side, just a bit.

"You can?"

"Yes, I have always been able to, and yes, I have control." Legolas hummed softly as he thought around what Draco had revealed to him. It was no small matter, that he knew.

"Why is it that you do not wish to make mention of this to the others. I am sure Gandalf would be incredibly thankful to have another Istari." 

"Because," Draco said sadly, hugging his knees to his chest. "I am stronger than Gandalf, and you already said he is one of the best. I do not wish to frighten anyone. Not to mention, I myself am scared of what I can do. What I have the potential to do. I can control it, but sometimes, when I am panicking, it is hard. I try to keep my emotions under control at all times, but there are times when I am in danger, and my magic lashes out, to protect me. Gandalf has magic, but not the same form of magic. It is of a different thread." Legilas looked at the boy. He was telling the truth. He felt himself hurt on behalf of this person.
"I know a very few who may be able to aid you." Legolas said carefully. He did, it was just a question of whether they would bother trying to help.  Before Draco could reply Gandalf leapt up, having figured out which direction he was to go.