Slight Relief

Draco was rather stunned that Thranduil had actually seemed pleased with the outcome of the fight. He would have thought that he would have been angered at his besting the Elf which he had fought, would have seen some form of weakness, with the elf, that a mere person like him was capable of besting them. One thing was certain the King was not one that was easy to please, Draco managed to gather that much in the short amount of time that he had known the other. There were times, times which Thranduil was so very much like his father it was rather frightening, but similar to with Legolas, Draco was beginning to realize that there was a difference there as well. Thranduil was a lot like his father there could be no debating that, and they even shared a lot of physical similarities, but in many ways there was such a contrast, it was hard to really see the similarities. His father was cruel, for the sake of being cruel, Thranduil was intimidating, and strict, but not unnecessarily cruel. Though, Draco seemed to feel as though he enjoyed humiliating people, but when they proved themselves worthy by standing up to that humiliation and not allowing to to drown them, they gained the King's respect.

He supposed that was something that had happened earlier. It still left him shaking, the adrenaline from the fight not quite having left his body yet. He was used to duels with magic. having a fight, a duel, with a blade? Far more terrifying. Even though Magic could kill you with one wrong spell, or one unforgivable, Draco found that sword fighting was far more scary then Magic itself was. That was likely because unlike in Magic duels, Draco had no idea how to continue forwards. He made educated guesses, and moved from there, watching his enemy, and carefully seeing what they did and how they responded. He acted as though he was less then he was, and overcame them in their annoyance and surprise. It was a game, a fun one, in certain aspects Draco could admit that, but it was also unnerving as every time it happened there was so many factors that were hard to count. 

As it was, he supposed he should just be glad that the King was not so angry he slit his throat. Though, Draco was not entirely certain that having gained the admiration or attention of His Majesty was exactly a good thing either, he could appreciate the fact that he had escaped unscathed. For now, at the very least, but it was better then the alternative, of which Draco could see many. None of them particularly pleasant, and Draco did not quite like negative things, even if he dwelled on them horribly in order to ensure that he was not caught off guard. 

Legolas nudged his side, lightly catching his attention. Draco focused his gaze on that of the Prince's. He knew that the other would want to speak, he would want to ask Draco questions, and Draco himself was not entirely certain that he was quite prepared for anything after this. The dinner, and then the fight, he was feeling so off centered. He just wanted to fall into a deep sleep for ages from now. Still, he would not do such things, not now at any rate.

"Father was please." Legolas said softly. "It is hard to please him, and dangerous as well." Draco swallowed nervously. he did not like the sound of that. "Father can be a rather complicated elf. He likes watching things that have the ability to be dangerous. He liked things that have power. He himself may not be so power hungry, but he enjoys the curiosity that is what makes a being dangerous and powerful. He is curious about you, that curiosity has not be satisfied, not yet." Draco inhaled sharply.

He had been correct in his assumptions. Something which most often led Draco to feeling glad and proud of himself, now caused him unending anxiety. While disappointing the king would have definitely led to some rather severe consequences, of that Draco was quite certain and there was not really and doubted that, it would seem that he was not necessarily out of the woods now that he had managed to not disappoint him. Legolas had already warned him that his father had found him interesting, and curious. Draco did not think much of that. Many people were curious about him that did not really do anything, and he did not particularly care. What did unnerve him was the fact that Draco's father was an incredibly powerful, dangerous Elf. There was really no point in denying that part. Anyone with eyes could see that Thranduil was dangerous. His entire countenance screamed it as long as one paid attention to it. Granted, many perhaps were not aware of the sheer danger which Thranduil radiated, likely, but Draco was not one of those fortunate souls to not feel the power which flew from Thranduil like a drum. It weighed on him, pushing him, he could feel it settle over himself. 

It was a lot like Legolas, when Draco thought about it. Though, much tamer. Not that Legolas was any less dangerous then his father, in fact Draco would argue that Legolas was more dangerous for the sheer fact that he did not seem as dangerous. There were other things that hinted to the fact that Legolas was not one to be underestimated, of course, but Draco was not one to dwell on such things, the outcome was already resolved. He knew that Legolas was dangerous, and it was always wise to have allies. Especially when you had no idea where you were and currently trapped in an unknown land. 

"Why does he wish for me to train with you?" Draco asked, tilting his head slightly. "Forgive me for being so bold, but I would assume you have much more important things to worry over then my training, My Prince." Legolas smiled, amusement dancing through his eyes. 

"True, but Father wants to keep eyes on you. I am quite good and proficient in many different types of weapons. I doubt that he wants you to train with only one. Furthermore, father is not quite pleased with my sudden absence. This is as much a way to keep an eye on you, as to keep one on myself as well." 

"Why did you leave with the Company if you suspected you Father would be so angry about it?" It was something that was leaving Draco helplessly curious. He did not like not knowing the answer to things, and the idea that Legolas would purposefully anger his father just to join a company, that was practically doomed from the start. It settled oddly with him. Especially since there was no way that the King would not find out. 

"I tend to be rather rebellious. Father has tried a lot to stamp it out, but eventually he realized that it would be better to allow my curiosity, and allow my rebellion. Not too much, of course, but enough that I am not feeling resentful. After mother died, many things changed. He learned a lot more about the world, and pain. I do not think that he wishes for me to fade, stuck in the endless loop of despair, and anger. Rebellion shows spirit, whatever one may say about the act of rebellion itself, I think he is just releived that I am showing some form of will and unwavering spirit. Of course, that does not mean that he allows me to go around unchecked. I am being punished just as much as I am being given leeway. I know the risks, I knew them, I took them anyways. Partially because I knew that the company would likely not make it as far as LothLorien, and that once there they would be able to make their way forwards with or without my presence, and partially because I wished to see what my father would do about it."

"Is he not angry?" Draco asked. "I would not think that overseeing my training is too much a punishment." Legolas smiled at the statement.

"It is not. He is not angry because he knows that I had good intentions, and while I may have done it partially to just see his reaction, I did what I did for mostly good reasons, he would not punish such a thing. However, the fact that I left and did not bother sending word with the Elves I went with, that is what has caused his ire. Not enough to be a severe punishment, but not something to go unchecked either." 

Draco sighed. He leaned against one of the trees and looked up at Legolas. "Your father loves you a lot." He said simply. His voice slightly wistful. Legolas looked at him, somewhat concerned. Yet he could not deny the truth of the statement. 

"Yes, he does."