54

Draco's skin was paler than normal, a sweaty sheen having taken over a majority of his skin. Legolas did not know what had happened, was not sure he could even begin to describe it, but he knew that he would demand answers when Draco awoke-that was presuming the other even knew what had happened. He had a feeling that Draco knew a lot of things, and was only sharing a part of what it was. Legolas was aware the boy had been through something, though he did not seem to like to speak on it, and often shut down such topics of conversation, and Legolas was also aware that he had no idea even the beginning of Draco's scope of power. If he was as strong as it would seem, he hated to think on what exactly could have caused something like this...worry that he could not quite contain, causing his father to look over with a look, caused him to gently wipe the mortal's brow.

"Father, I understand if you cannot speak to me about what just occured," Legolas whispered, tensing slightly as his father's eyes sharpened dangerously. He would have to be careful if he wanted to get some sort of answers, or even to leave the room intact and without a poor innkeeper trying to appease an irate King. "I had no right to question you like that, I was nervous, and frightened. I had not seen such a thing since..." Legolas's throat closed itself off from words. "Since then, and it frightened me so suddenly I lost myself. I should not have done such a thing." His father tilted his head curiously, before nodding once, and Legolas felt breath course through his lungs once more. His father may not be pleased, but at least he would forgive Legolas' transgressions. This was more than he could have hoped, considering how things had been going since Legolas returned.

His father was...not overly excited with his behavior. He knew that, and he knew that it was something he would have to continue to be quite careful when dealing with. Thranduil was a just king, but at times a cruel father. It was not something Legolas could blame him for. After all, he did not think one could truly be both a good King and a good father. No matter what others claimed, Thranduil was not cruel to him most of the times. His judgements were always swift and harsh, but fair. Legolas knew that, and was reminded of it constantly, even more often now than before. His father had not needed to spare him for his rude behavior, nor did his father have to help Draco, or even want to get to know him, but upon knowing Legolas liked Draco he had allowed a space for the other in the kingdom, and besides Legolas. This would be different if it was someone else, he had no illusions of that, but at the same time-his father was being kind in a way Legolas could never have hoped for before. He could admit he was worried how his father would react on the daily, but at the very least he knew that the king was attempting something. Attempting kindness. Something he had seemed to have forgotten before Legolas left.

There was a disconnect between Legolas and Thranduil. Legolas knew this. Thranduil was his father, and his King. Legolas was not just Thranduil's son, not just his heir, but also his subject, and it was a difficult relationship to navigate with any sort of certainty. He knew Elrond often showed displeasure at many things his father did, but Legolas could never quite think that Elrond truly understood. He had not visited the Wood for a long time, and even beyond that, Elrond was not...technically...the same as his father. So many things were different, but Legolas knew that his father cared for him, and that was really all that he needed most of the time. Legolas understood after all. Their mother died protecting him, this has caused Thranduil to be quite harsh but also protective. Legolas' recent escapade likely had not won him any favor.

"He will be fine, Legolas," Thranduil stated, his words coursed with certainty. "This is not the same as back then, though I know you worry over it. It is similar, but not quite the same. I would know, and while I am not entirely sure what has caused him to be in this state, I worry perhaps we will find out soon enough." The words gave Legolas a sense of calm and worry. Calm that Draco would be okay, and worry that even his father had no idea what to do forwards from here.

"Is there...any guesses?"

"Whatever it was, clearly, was quite strong, dark, and powerful, but not the same as Sauron, I do not think. I am not sure yet, my son, I need more time to think things over before I can give you an answer you are looking for."

"Thank you," Legolas breathed out, surprised but at the same time, not.

"There is no need to thank me," Thranduil stated abruptly. "You would likely continue your moping if I had not given you something to think over, so I figured I could at least answer your question from earlier." Legolas watched as his father stood and moved towards the door. "Care for him gently, Legolas, but do not worry that he will fade before you have a chance to truly know him, he is quite strong, even I can see the magic that pulses weakly under his skin." He paused, as though unsure. "I will speak with the Innkeeper on the events that have happened here. The healer has, I am sure you need not be reminded, said there was little to worry about for the moment."

Legolas debated going with his father, but ultimately decided not to, he had not been invited and he was not sure he wanted to leave Draco's side yet. His father could be terrifying, but King Thranduil would need to speak with his subjects alone, and this was a matter important enough that Legolas knew he would be intruding if he went along. He waited until he heard his father close the door and turned his gaze back to the blond boy before him. He could not quite help the worry that clutched his heart, but he was glad that his father was willing to answer him.