Chapter 5: 1-5

Jackson and Lydia arrive at the video rental store as Jackson tries to convince Lydia to watch something other than The Notebook.

"What's wrong with the notebook? It's a brilliant movie!" Stiles exclaimed from his place beside Lydia. "Only girls and sissies like you would agree with that Stilinski" Jackson spat at him. Stiles glared at the boy while Lydia looked at Stiles with a curious look on her face.

Jackson goes inside to find The Notebook and finds the rental clerk dead with his throat ripped out. The Alpha is inside the store with Jackson and pins him to the ground with a shelf, but instead of killing him, he observes scratches left on the back of his neck by Derek and jumps out the window, terrifying Lydia. Soon, Stiles arrives with his father and is surprised to find Jackson and Lydia there protesting to be allowed to go home.

"Saved by the scratch" Isaac mutters looking at a relieved Jackson. Talia looked at the screen with narrowed eyes. There was only one reason for the alpha to leave someone unturned and the reason was all too well known by her. Stiles looked at Lydia who had suddenly clung to his arm, "Hey Lydia its okay" he said. Lydia looked up at a smiling Stiles and nodded her head shakily. She took a few deep breaths and got settled back in. But she still held his arm, not that Stiles was complaining.

Scott and Derek are on the roof discussing the incident and Derek explains that The Alpha is acting unusually, claiming that werewolves are predators not killers. As they leave, The Spiral mark glows red on the roof.

"Is that?" Deaton spoke up for the first time and everyone jumped a little. Talia looked back at her emissary and nodded gravely.

Back at his place, Derek explains that he needs Scott to find The Alpha and also that he will need his help killing The Alpha, but first, Scott must learn to endure pain and remain in his wolf form.

"Guess you will finally have a friend huh Der?" Cora asked elbowing his side. Derek said nothing but his face grew sour.

The next day, Kate apologizes to Allison for giving Scott a difficult time, and gives Allison a family heirloom as a birthday gift. It's a silver medallion with a snarling, large wolf on the front. Kate then tells her to look up her family history.

"That stupid woman!" Victoria said through gritted teeth. Allison looked at her mother, "What is wrong with knowing about the family history?" she asked. "You'll see son enough" Chris said calmly, but had an edge to his voice.

At school, Allison finds a birthday surprise from Lydia in her locker and Scott sees this, realizing that it is her birthday. When Scott asks why she is embarrassed about this, she explains that she is 17, a year older than others in her grade. Seeing how distressed she is about it, he asks her to skip the day with him, which she nervously agrees to.

"Oho no, you young man are not bunking class and taking the young lady with you!" Melissa says fixing Scott with a glare. "It hasn't happened yet mom" Scott groaned. "It better not happen at all" Chris said from his place beside Allison fixing Scott with a glare of his own.

Later in Mr. Harris' chemistry class, Stiles asks Danny a series of questions regarding Jackson and the events of last night as Jackson and Danny are best friends. Danny admits that despite this, Jackson won't discuss the matter with him. Stiles then asks Danny, who is gay, if he finds him attractive and then falls off his chair.

"That is not how to ask someone out Stiles" Lydia teased from beside him. Stiles was about to say something when he noticed her smile. She hadn't smiled since the whole bowling part. Stiles shook his head with a smile, "I guess not".

Later in the locker room, Jackson is interrogated by Derek on what he exactly saw last night. Satisfied with what Jackson has told him, he leaves and tells Jackson to have his scratches looked at, payback for a rude remark Jackson made at Derek previously.

"You tell him" Cora whooped. Jackson glared at the young girl before looking away. The Hales were all looking at him, daring him to say something.

Stiles goes to see a prescription drugged Lydia to ask her about the attack but she is too inebriated to be of any use. When Stiles answers her phone, he sees a recording of The Alpha that she had captured by accident. Stiles attempts to call Scott repeatedly to help him figure out what to do with video evidence that werewolves are real. Since both Scott and Allison have turned off their phones, Stiles is left on his own and eventually decides to erase the evidence.

"Good thinking" Chris muttered. He knew the kind of chaos it would cause if people saw that. Lydia hid her face behind her hands and sighed, "Of all people it had to be him" she thought to himself. She did not know why it was such a big deal. After all he did nothing to her, inappropriate that is. He was a gentleman all the way. She shook her head and looked back at the screen.

Out in the woods, Kate leads two hunters to confront Derek. Hearing them approach Hale House, Derek is able to take out the two hunters quickly, but he is trapped and tortured by Kate. She taunts him in a sexually suggestive way saying "This one grew up in all the right places" and "I don't know whether to kill it or lick it."

"That was so creepy" Laura muttered with a shudder. "Tell me about it" Allison said trying to hold back on the vomit that tried to come out.

Kate explains that they did not kill his sister. Derek seems unconvinced and is tested by Kate who asks, "You think I'm lying?", with a still skeptical Derek replying, "Wouldn't be the first time," hinting the two have a shared past. She then suggests that they work together to kill the Alpha if Derek discloses his true identity, but after she deduces that Derek does not know The Alpha's identity either, she attempts to kill him as she sees him as now useless to her.

"Derek" Talia looked at her son. Derek did not look back and said nothing, staring intently at the screen. Talia sighed and looked back at the screen.

Scott's boss leaves a message on his phone looking for him when Sheriff Stilinski arrives and asks for his opinion on the video store attack. The vet then begins to act strangely and tells the sheriff to seek out a professional opinion. Later that night at the parent teacher conference, all the parents are in attendance. Coach Bobby Finstock is revealed to be an Economics teacher in addition to coaching the Lacrosse team. He is surprised to find out that Stiles' first name is not Stiles. It also turns out that Jackson is adopted, Lydia's parents believe there is something wrong with her, but do not realize how bright and successful she is, and Allison's mother does not appear to know that her husband is a hunter.

"That is your first name?" Lydia asked with a raised eyebrow. Stiles shrugged, "You see now why I go by Stiles?" he said as Lydia smiled and then let out a little giggle. "But the name is such a nice one" Claudia mutters. "Of course it is honey" Noah says, rubbing her back. "You know that's bullshit" Allison says to Scott. "Mom knows perfectly well. She herself is one". Scott nods his head and looks back at the screen.

After the conference, Allison's and Scott's parents realize the pair is missing. Upon meeting, Melissa McCall and Chris take an instant disliking for each other with Chris blaming Scott for being a bad influence on Allison. Once the young couple arrives at the school, before their parents can begin to scold them for cutting class, there is a sudden disturbance in the crowd. An animal on the loose. Amidst the chaos, Scott saves Allison from being hit by a car, the Sheriff is hit by a car and before he can act, Chris shoots the animal, which is revealed to be a mountain lion.

"He is a bad influence" Chris said looking at Scott who did not meet his eyes. "After what I saw? I can't blame you for saying that" Melissa says causing Scott to drop his head. "I fell like the mountain lion thing was a setup. To get our minds off the whole alpha thing" Lydia muttered to Stiles who nodded, "I feel the same thing" he said. "I hope you are alright" Claudia said worryingly. Noah put an arm around his wife, "I'm fine honey. It's going to take more than a car to take the Sheriff down" he boasts earning a light slap on the chest from his wife. Stiles smiled watching his parents interact with each other.