𝐨. 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐬

September 2020

𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐒. The atmosphere could easily give you chills through your spine, creating an uneasy feeling in the back of your body. The snow and knowing that monsters could pop out any second didn't help that chilling atmosphere. Why was it snowing in September? Did the snow have a reason? Did it just want to create more tension in this wicked world?

Snow fell calmly, blocking the vision of the soldiers that were trying to see what were the human things that were walking toward them. Anyone could envy the snow now, it fell freely when it wanted, not caring about a single person, not caring about any of the monsters that ruined this already-wicked world. The soldiers were all behind the big bridge, protecting themselves from the thing as it kept walking in the shadows, only their shadows could be seen and by the shadow, it looked like they both had their hands linked together. Why did they? Why did they have their hands linked now? Monsters could easily kill them, but they're not showing fear, they're showing something that many people lost touch with in just a month: love.

Love wasn't something that you found just by working hard, you find it because of not doing so. But in this world, your loved ones could die in front of you, so the walls that probably were never there started to grow bigger and bigger, trying to protect themselves from hurtful pain. But the shadows weren't like that, sure, they knew they could die, but that just made them want to enjoy their love more, wanting to enjoy every last second of it.

A helicopter was flying above the things, trying to give them light, a light of hope that the shadows weren't an enemy and were going to kill them. They had to survive, why did they? In this world, you'll become wicked one way or another. Why do so?

The only thing that was moving in the snow were the shadows, the monsters that they once feared were frozen, or at least in a frozen state thanks to the snow. But the monsters that were frozen, soon, started getting out of their frozen state, while the other human creatures that were the stars of the show were passing by them, not even caring.

The light of the helicopter shined them a bit, showing their broken appearances. Their clothes were ripped off or burned, they barely covered their skins from the cold, both of them had their hair short, and even if they showed a tired face, they still didn't let go of their linked hands, not even if someone paid them to do so. The soldiers were still alert, even knowing that these shadows were humans, you could never know if they were the special infected. The soldiers demanded them to stop, not wanting those things that could kill them to come closer, but the shadows didn't even listen to them.

A shot went through the creatures' shoulders, making the creatures stumble back at them, but still, it didn't seem like it hurt them, they didn't even care, the shoulder was fine in a split second. The soldiers kept firing, trying that their fear didn't get the best of them, but the only thing they did was just lose their bullets because they still didn't seem like they were hurt by the bullets, they looked like the blood that they were losing, slowly went back to their bodies, healing them.

They stopped, not taking out the pressure off the soldiers' shoulders. That pressure that was always there, the feeling that one day you could die, or you could let your desires show to your brain, and soon turn into an infected.

Someone once said, even complete darkness will disappear with the faintest light. This is a story about us, the ones trying to find a reason to live in a world where it's even harder than merely surviving.