43

The clock was pointing at the witching hour when Wei Wuxian suddenly jolted up from her sleep with tears running down her face, and in turn, Lan Wangji woke up in panic.

"What's wrong, Wei Ying?" He pulled her into his embrace as she was sobbing like he had never seen her before.

"La‐Lan Zhan…" she tried to control her emotion, but it failed. This was the first time she felt deep anguish and pain like she had never felt before and it broke her heart. "I‐I feel this rush of emotions in my heart, like someone was grieving and don't know how to deal with it…" she clutched her heart hard and tried to find solace in Lan Wangji's embrace. "Do you think… something happened to our children?"

Lan Wangji did not answer her, instead, he pulled her closer and wished that nothing happened to them. Then he remembered about the Devourer shared feature.

"Can you contact them via your ability to connect to any online electronic device? If they are truly our children, they are supposed to have that same ability, right?"

Wei Wuxian stilled, then she jumped off Lan Wangji's embrace with still glimmering eyes.

"I'm so stupid! I've been meaning to do that, but somehow I got sidetracked. I'll start right away." She sat in meditation pose, then closed her eyes to concentrate on the twins' signals.

Lan Wangji stood up and walked to the kitchen to make hot chocolate with a dash of whiskey, just the way Wei Wuxian liked it, and was about to bring it back to their room when he sensed that someone was in their apartment.

"I was wondering when you'd show up." He took another cup and made tea for himself.

"I'm sorry to bother you at this time of the day, Your Highness." The man kneeled down on the floor, the way a knight to his King. 

"So, what do you want? Showing yourself in front of me, after all the things you've done?" Lan Wangji sat on the couch and sipped his tea elegantly. He knew that the man in front of him wouldn't dare to do anything to him, and not like he could anyway. 

"Your Majesty, I'm here to offer my life to you, in exchange for protection for my… no, your children." The man, who turned out to be Duncan, offered a short blade to Lan Wangji, who ceased all his movement and snatched the blade in Duncan's hand then pointed it to his neck.

"Explain."

"I know General Wei has already seen the twins, Morrigan and Neit, Feng Yue and Feng Xue." He started to talk in a low voice. "I beg you to save them, Your Highness, they… their abilities are locked and they have explosives in their bodies that could obliterate them if they did not obey him."

Lan Wangji was stunned by Duncan's rapid fire explanation, it took him a minute to digest the information. And when he did, he felt all the blood drained from his body.

"Who's he?" His voice was cold and the murderous intent was clear in every fiber of his body. 

"It's the present King, Shi Wudu."

Noah woke up in the bed inside the yacht, alone. The sun had already been shining through the windows and straight into his eyes, blinding him. He took an extra time to gather his thought, then he remembered that he was on a date with Feng Yue, when they found a mysterious island, and then they dealt with a dragon goddess, Toyotama-hime, then the sex… god, the sex with Feng Yue was always earth-shattering and mind-blowing. But that was the last thing he remembered before he woke up just now.

But where's Feng Yue?

He stood up to look for her in his yacht, but he couldn't find her anywhere in there. Then he found the small note stuck on the fridge, it said, 'Baby, I have something urgent to do, be back soon. XOXO.'

It was just a silly thing, the hugs and kisses sign, but Noah felt warm all over, although some part of him wished that she would tell him about it instead of leaving him there, wondering where and what she was doing out there that was so important. He was just about to take a shower when he heard someone entering the yacht.

He quickly took the discarded jeans and wore it, before whoever it was entered the yacht. He took his gun out from the hiding place, not having any patience to go for a lower key weapon. He'd just blast anyone who dared disturb him without permission.

"Noah? Are you here?" The voice, soft and familiar, a woman's, was calling him, and he froze in place. The woman entered the yacht and found him, topless, and stared into her with his brow raised in question.

"What are you doing here?" 

Noah's voice was cold, and he didn't put away his weapon, since he knew that although this woman looked weak and feeble, she was very dangerous. 

"Still hate me, I see." She smiled like an angel and took a seat on one of the high chairs.

"Hate is a strong word. I don't want anything to do with you, or the Order, ever again. Now please get out of here before I put an extra hole in you." He cocked his gun and pointed it to her. She was one of the Knights of Holy Order and one of the most extreme ones. She was often killed in the name of God, without finding the truth, or even cared about it. It was like she took a pleasure in killing anything and anyone without discrimination.

"I'm here not on the Order's order. I'm here to ask you for help with a job." 

"Not interested. Out."

"It's an exorcism gone wrong, involving an innocent child." She ignored Noah's warning. "I know you always have a soft spot for children, unlike myself. If I have to do this job, I might end up killing the little girl, and I don't care as long as the job's done."

"Ask the other Knights. I'm sure one of them must be available. I'm busy here."

"They're all out on various jobs, and it's only me who's available." She stood up and wrote something on a piece of paper. "Here's the address, I will head there now, hope you change your mind if you want to raise the little girl's chance to live." She put the paper on the table. "After this, I won't bother you anymore." Then she left, as swift as she came.

Noah was still in guard when he heard a soft whisper behind him.

"So, I just left for a while and you're meeting your ex-girlfriend already?"

Noah turned around to see Feng Yue in all black with a helmet under her arm, smelling so fresh and intoxicating. He pulled her in his arms and kissed her hair.

"Where have you been? I was hoping that you're still naked and warm beside me when I woke up." He sulked, and Feng Yue laughed.

"Don't change the subject, who's she? What did she want?" She observed Noah and saw that he had this disgusted look when she mentioned the woman.

"That… monster, is a Knight of Holy Order, my ex comrade, although comrade is a bit far-fetched for someone as twisted as her." He sighed heavily as he pulled Feng Yue with him on his lap and snuggled into her warmth. "She's a flat out killer. She killed everyone and everything in her way, even children." He squeezed Feng Yue's hand tight. 

"And what did she want from you?" She cuddled into his embrace and played with his earrings.

"A help in exorcism. She's not too good at exorcising anyone, since she preferred the more extreme way." Noah sighed again. "I just don't feel comfortable working with her, since I get this… weird vibe everytime she looks at me."

Feng Yue giggled and pinched Noah on his upper arms, amused at his ignorance at the most obvious thing. But that's what she loved about him.

"She wants you, that's why she looked at you like that." And she laughed at Noah's horrified expression. "You really underestimate your charm, Noah St.Claire." She kissed him softly. Oh how fond she was of this man, the more she knew him.

"I just care about how to make you like me more and more instead of thinking about that witch." He pulled her into a deeper kiss that made them both lose their breath.

"God, you're so childish," Feng Yue pushed him away but he grabbed onto her and kissed her again. 

"Well, I might rethink about helping her, if you come with me." Noah took off her jacket and kissed her shoulder. "That way, she won't be able to push me in a dark corner and steal a kiss from me." Suddenly he stopped, and looked at Feng Yue. "What…" his hand was sneaking under her tank top and found a surprise there.

"This was supposed to be a surprise for you, but since we have a job now, you have to wait until later." Feng Yue ran away from Noah's embrace, leaving him horny and speechless.