+2+

+THIRD+

Malia opens her email account as her parents nervously stand on either side of her. She hesitates as she hears her dad's breathing in her ear.

"Can you back up? Dang. Making me nervous."

"Nervous for what? You're already in the school. We just seeing if you made the dance team. Open the doggone email up." He tells her as he looks back at the screen.

She opens the email from her university and skims through it. Her mother screams as she reads that she's been accepted into the dance program. She made it.

She made the dance team she's always dreamed of being apart of. She beams as her mother and father hug each other then hug her.

Janae is on the phone looking frantic. "Girl! Did you make it or not?!"

She left for her school last week. It's a little further away so she needed extra time to drive down and prepare for classes before they start. Malia will also be attending school outside of their hometown, but hers is a bit closer.

This is just the icing on the cake for her. Malia worked hard for this. After her high school experience(which she'd rather keep locked in a vault at the bottom of the sea), she's ready to get out of this town and take on the next step.

"Yes! I made it!"

Janae screams through the phone. "Now go for them girls' necks, Lia. Go big or go home, baby! You know what you're capable of." Her best friend pep talks her.

During the summer following their high school graduation, Malia bloomed.

Physically, in the form of hips and butt, her mother's genetics pulled through for her. The chest was more than likely given to her by the women on her father's side. She's got her aunt Felicia to thank for that.

The stress of high school was pushed to the back of her mind, forced from it. This gave Malia a whole new outlook on life. A different mindset to walk into the next phase of her life with. She turned 18 in July and with that came confidence like no other.

She really wished that she had this her senior year. But timing is everything for her. This was for a reason. She's sure of it. That's how she has to think of things to get through.

"Alright, I have to go finish setting up this dorm room. Classes start in four days. You need to start your drive unless you want to be trying to read syllabuses and set up your dorm at the same time." Janae scolds her and Malia rolls her eyes.

"I can multitask. That's you who can't do two things at once. But you're right. I'll start my drive."

"Alright. I love you. Call me when you get to your dorm."

"You have my loca-. Okay. I love you, too."

They get off the phone and Malia closes her laptop, packing it into her book bag. Her parents wait for her at the door to see her off.

"Call us whenever you can. I know you're going to be busy." Her mother reminds her.

"Y'all act like I'm going to war. It's only six hours away. And I'm coming to visit during the breaks, mom." She hugs her tight and then her father.

"We know. But it's different now. We aren't with you. You're going to be by yourself, a young adult. We're proud of you, Malia."

"Thank you. But you're being sappy and this is going to last forever. I gotta go." She kisses their cheeks before getting in her car. She hooks her phone up to the aux and waves to them before pulling off.