+3+

+MALIA+

I wake up on the first day of classes with sore arms and thighs. I had dance practice yesterday and quickly came to the realization that I am not as in good shape as I thought I was.

Or maybe it's just how often I'm exerting myself that I'm not used to.

In any case, Camryn and I made a pact to go to the gym together on the days that we don't have practice. It's every three to four nights until the season starts. So gym time starts today. My second day on campus was spent taking pictures for the dance team.

They're going on the school website and season roster. As well as posters for every basketball game and try-outs for the team.

While making myself breakfast, I listen to H.E.R.. I sing along as I eat. Checking the time, I grab my keys off of the table and head to my car with my bag slung across one shoulder.

Today is nice out. It's not too cold, not too hot. It's lukewarm outside. Perfect for my light blue ripped jeans and off the shoulder black sweater. My slides are comfortable on my feet.

I walk to first class, getting there just as the buzz for class starting goes off. The professor gives a few extra minutes for stragglers to get in before starts.

"Welcome to the Intro to College seminar. My name is Professor Lewis. I'll be your guide through the first semester of your freshman year journey."

"My job is to give you tips, tricks and helpful tools to get you through your college days." He drones on explaining the class before he passes out papers. He then asks us to stand and introduce ourselves.

I internally groan about the last part. I thought I would be done with this in high school but I guess not. The class goes column by column introducing themselves until it gets to two columns before mine.

A guy that I've seen on posters for basketball stands up. People clap and 'whisper cheer' for him.

"We know who you are, boy." A girl's voice says. He smacks his lips and makes a face as he looks at her.

He's got dark brown hair with a tint of red to it. It's cut low and he has waves. His hair compliments the rich chocolate tone of his skin.

"I'm Tyrell. I'm 20, from Jersey. And I'm Co-Captain of the basketball team this season." He licks his lips as he sits back down.

The class claps and whoops at the mention of the sport. I realize that I'm staring at him and look away.  I look into the reflection of my phone screen and make sure that my curls look good.

"My name is-."

"We know yo fine ass, too."

The class laughs and I turn my attention to the man speaking as they calm down. I stop breathing altogether before turning back around.

"My name is Namjoon Kim. I'm 19 and I'm Captain of the basketball team this season and every one after that until I graduate." The class cheers and whoops. Professor Lewis claps and smiles with them.

Tyrell smacks his teeth and looks at him as he sits back in his seat behind him. They both slouch a little in their seats, spreading their legs.

I keep my composure and pep talk myself as much as possible as my turn comes up. Sitting in a middle seat in the last row, my turn comes fairly quickly.

I stand up and click my pen in my hand twice to help soothe my nervousness. I'm not one for things like this.

"I'm Malia. I just turned 18 in July and I... am really not good at public speaking so I'm gonna sit back down." I say the last part slowly as I take my seat. The class laughs quietly.