+53+

THIRD

Malia sips her cocoa as she looks around the cafe. It's a very cute place. Colored in earth tones, it brings a very calm energy into the place. Xavier sits across from her, stirring his coffee as he looks at her.

He admires Malia. From the moment he spilled his initial intent and she forgave him, he has admired her. For various reasons, she intrigues him. She's a very different type of person than the people he's usually around.

She's high in energy, low in social battery. It's an odd mix but one that seems to work for and fit her.

Xavier also admires her mental strength. Knowing first hand of the situation that she's in, he can only imagine the emotional turmoil brewing inside of her.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks as he pours his creamer into the coffee. Malia adds more marshmallows and then stirs her cocoa with a spoon.

"I don't have to say anything to say honestly." She shrugs. "I trusted him... again. And he lied to me... again. What else is there to say?"

"That he probably didn't know." Xavier says before tasting his coffee. He smacks his lips and sticks his tongue out in disgust before adding some sugar packets.

"Does it even matter? I'm tired of this back and forth. Every time I turn around, she's got some shit to say, something new to tell me. It's annoying. I'm tired of it."

Xavier tilts his head, running his tongue along the inside of his cheek. As much as he wants to wish the absolute worst for the kid, he pulls himself out of the situation. He is logically aware that Namjoon has done nothing wrong to him.

Not directly, anyway. It isn't his fault that Chloe is manipulative. It isn't his fault that she uses everyone to her own benefit until she can't anymore. And it is definitely not Namjoon's fault that Xavier is still working to get over her despite all of these things.

Namjoon does not deserve the things that he's being put in the middle of. Chloe is using him to hurt Xavier in every way that she knows how.

He could have made D-1 his freshman year. He did make D-1. He just lost his scholarship for it two months in. That's all it took for the attention to get to Chloe's head. They were fine before that.

Chloe made the cheerleading team and every day after that, his life was hell. She started not calling back, not answering his texts. She began ignoring him entirely in public and giving the utmost reassurance in private.

He didn't know what happened or where it went wrong. He still doesn't. The only thing that he has solidified in his head is the memory of another man telling him about how he had sex with his girlfriend.

Explaining to him the fact that while Xavier was waiting for her to meet him at a bench on campus, she was moaning for another man. The memory haunts him every time that he sees him.

Every single time that Sebastian walks by him, it plays in his mind.

They fought that day. Sebastian gave him a black eye, popping several blood vessels and Xavier dislocated his nose.

Xavier lost his scholarship. The only reason that he didn't get kicked out of the school was because Xavier refused to press charges on him, and the Dean saved him on tuition.

The teen and his family couldn't afford it on their own and it was past the deadline for financial aid. So the Dean himself paid Xavier's tuition that semester.

Chloe came in and out of his life after that. He still felt that he had her to an extent and that was enough for him. Until Namjoon came over the summer.