+58+

THIRD

The tension in the air is palpable. There's never been a more heated scene in the gymnasium than this. Neck and neck at the end of fourth quarter, the buzzer goes off.

Georgia Tech is tied with Duke 119-119. The players of both teams are exhausted, taking a much needed rest before overtime.

They head to the hallway that leads to the locker rooms. It feels significantly cooler than the stifling heat of the gym. They lean against the tiled walls to cool off as their coaches come by with water bottles. They've been chilled down.

"I feel like I'm about to pass out." Jay says as he slides down the wall. His eyes flutter and Tyrell and Hakeem both reach for him. He slumps down and the coaches run over. Namjoon stands back a little not wanting to crowd them.

One of their coaches keeps two fingers under his neck while the other splashes cold water on him. After a minute or so, he comes to. Everyone is panicked and worried.

"You feeling alright, Jaylen? Sick, nauseous?" His coach questions. The boy nods weakly, trying to keep his eyes open.

"'M tired, coach." He answers and puts his head against the wall.

"You gonna have to sit this one out, Jay. You're done." Namjoon tells him.

"I only need a few minutes. Just a few and I'll be okay to play this."

"Man, hell no." Hakeem cuts in. "You just passed out and it took you a whole two minutes to wake up. You're not playing."

"But the game-."

"Is not worth your health, dawg. It's not happening. You can always sit this one out. If you pass out on the court and injure yourself, you're risking sponsor opportunities. It's not worth it, Jay."

"You've done enough, man. You dropped the most points so far. Just take it easy." Midas tells him. Jay shakes his head.

"I can't do that. I promised my mom."

"We all promised somebody." Namjoon says. "We've all made commitments to winning in somebody's name. We can only try our hardest, we can only do our best." He thinks of everything Malia and his mother have told him.

"At the end of the day, we've made it this far. We've done this much. We're playing the number one school in the nation for finals. Nobody else we know can say that they've done this. This is an accomplishment in itself. Your family will be proud either way. You've done your part. You have always pulled your weight, Jay. Let us pick it up from here. There are no losers on this team. We all going home with something."

Namjoon looks Jay in the eyes as he talks to him. He meant everything that he said. Jay has never slacked in anything on the court. He's always been a staple for the team. If he needs a break, they'll pick up whatever he leaves. They can handle it.

"Alright, man. But y'all better win or I'm telling my mom and my granny it was y'all fault we lost." Jay says as Tyrell helps him up. They all smack their teeth, laughing with their coaches. As they're cheering and cackling, the girls walk out of the locker room.

They look pissed off but the guys know that's just their dance expressions by now.

"Show out again!" Hakeem shouts to them.

"You know we will. That's our job." Camryn says back. The girls agree and Malia looks at Namjoon. She doesn't intend to, her eyes have just learned to search for him. They give each other small smiles.

Three little words play in their heads on repeat. They're on the top of his tongue when she's pulled away by the girls. It's time for their performance. Namjoon watches her walk through the doors.