+6+

THIRD

The dance team stands ready to walk in as the music starts. The other teams and students come to watch. The basketball team is, of course, front and center to watch as they said they would be.

Hakeem said they have to 'make sure that their good name isn't being ruined by the dancers'. He was joking but was still almost smacked upside the head for it.

Kaia starts the dance on the first verse and Malia takes over for the first chorus and second verse. They buck before spinning out to a different formation. Camryn takes her spot in front for the second chorus.

All the teams are cheering for them. The cheerleaders are bopping to the music. Tyrell hasn't taken his eyes off of Taija at all. Namjoon watches Malia as they get to the bridge of their dance.

He's impressed with her, very much so. He didn't think that she had any of this in her. When they were in high school, she focused on her books and nothing else.

He admired her for that. She didn't care at all about the pressures of her social life. She had Janae and that was enough for her.

To this day, Namjoon isn't entirely sure why he agreed to do what he did to her. Granted, he had every intent to show up at that diner. But life just had other plans, it seemed.

Malia was quiet; she was never mixed into anything. Taehyung and Hoseok had him cornered with her. He doesn't understand where the idea to pick with her so suddenly came from.

He knows that it may have had something to do with his ex girlfriend, being that Taehyung never really liked her.

But Namjoon doesn't understand the point of why Taehyung did what he did. He doesn't really get any of it at all. He had several people that he could have had rightful retaliation against. But instead he chose to bother Malia.

Why?

Even with the offer of money on the table, Namjoon feels like an ass for even agreeing to it to begin with. He very well could have said no, pushed the idea out of Taehyung's head and still gone on that date with Malia.

But it was plenty of money for him to do other things with. Coming from Taehyung and Hoseok, especially. They're upper middle class but they're stingy.

Namjoon and his mother live comfortably, but they're not rich. It wasn't until he invested in stocks and bought a share over the summer that his own money kind of shot up.

He and Taehyung had fallen off that night of the party. He didn't know that his friend had planned to embarrass her like that. He didn't even know that he had went to the diner to take pictures in the first place. He knew none of what Taehyung had planned.

If he had, then he would have put a stop to it before it even started.

Namjoon wanted to apologize to Malia so many times. But his number had been blocked, he didn't want to just show up to her house and she didn't go to the graduation practice or the ceremony.

She missed her own graduation because of him. Every time that he thinks about it, he's repulsed by his actions. He doesn't like thinking about it too often.

Truth be told, he really did like Malia. Not necessarily in a head over heels romantic way, but it could have definitely headed in that direction if it went on for long enough.

She was smart, creative and if you had enough small conversations with her, you'd realize that she was funny. He even noticed that she had this subtle brattiness to her. The way that she'd kind of frown when her father told her that they weren't going to get ice cream after church was always a tell. Even if he was just joking and still took her to go get the ice cream.