To Being Free...

The silence lingered over the table as Loki continued to watch me intently, there was a sparkle in his eyes. He was enjoying this.

Mischief was his area of expertise. But I had never seen him like this before.

As the server brought me back another drink, she lingered at the table a moment. "Are y'all ready to order some food or would you like me to give you another moment?"

"Oh I'm sure he would like to order something alright." I snapped.

"Little Mouse. Please. I'm sure the server isn't on the menu tonight. " He laughed and in return I shot him a look that could kill.

Truth be told I hadn't even looked at the menu, I was a few seconds off getting up and walking out of the joint. I lifted the chic leather backed menu and scanned the starters, I lifted my attention back to the server to speak when...

"For starters please bring us two Beef Carpaccio. That will be all thank you." Loki's attention immediately left the server and landed back on me.

"Alright. Sight tight and we will get that to you shortly. If you need anything in the mean time just holler at me." The server blushed not making eye contact with me at all before leaving.

"I can order for myself." I bit at him.

"Oh I know, but you don't eat seafood and other than the beef there was only pigs in blankets and you always say bacon leaves you thirsty. So. The obvious choice was the beef." He observed, tilting his head to the side.

I blinked a few times.

Shocked.

It was true, but I didn't think he would actually remember something as silly as that. I went to open my mouth, but closed it again. Still at a loss for words.

Before I could comprehend what was happening Loki was beside me pulling me off my chair gently and guiding me around to the booth to sit beside him.

"Loki." I grumbled.

"I know. I know. Just. Please? I've been a dick." His eyes silently pleaded with me.

"Oh you have got that right, at least that's something tonight." I rolled my eyes, shuffling my hips to allow myself to pull my dress down that had slipped up when I sat down.

I heard him chuckle beside me and as I looked at him I saw a green flash leave his hands, "What are you doing?" I asked him as I looked around concerned. Expecting to see the maitre'd from earlier explode before my very eyes or something.

"I'm just sound proofing our little booth, don't worry. We don't need the mortals hearing our conversation is all Little Mouse. Now. Come here." His arm snaked in around my waist and he pulled me closer to him, gently he placed a kiss on my temple. "I'm sorry." He breathed, pausing for a moment, "I promise you. I really am. I just..."

He paused for a moment, and I could almost swear I felt him in my head. But I shook it off when he started to speak again.

"Darling. You were dead. The fear that passed through my body when I thought I had lost you. That pain. Watching on from the sideline, unable to help as they worked on you...I just...I don't know if I could go through that again." The hand on my waist squeezed me slightly as he leant in, resting his face against my temple. He was silent for a moment. Almost as if he was savouring this. His breath tickled my skin as he spoke again, "If I lose you, I fear I may lose my only chance."

I shifted my body to look at him, "What do you mean watching from the sideline?" I searched his face, "Did you see me die?"

He nodded solemnly, "Here..." he lifted his hand and placed it onto my forehead, "Close your eyes Darling."