I haven't proofread this yet!

Jasmine

11am

My family are coming over in a few hours for the maiya* and I have to wear a dress. I hate wearing dresses.

Don't get me wrong, South Asian, traditional/cultural dresses are absolutely gorgeous but I just hate how they look on me.

I got a text from my favourite cousins saying they're coming early. YAY!

The wedding is in 2 days and I'M SO EXCITED. I forgot how much I love weddings. I haven't been to one since I was 13 AND NOW IT'S MY SISTER'S AND I'M HER BRIDESMAID!!!!

"JASMINDER! YAHAAN AAO" My mum shouted. I clean my glasses before putting them on and put on some sweatpants before going to the living room. (COME HERE)

"Haan?" (Yeah)

"Stir this daal please. And call Arjun and tell him to come and make the naan. I need to go and ask the neighbors for some green chillis"

"Okay"

Once she left I shouted for Arjun which resulted in him coming down surprisingly quickly.

"What?" He asked in an irritated tone.

"Someone woke up with an attitude" I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

Arjun and I are quite distant. We hardly ever talk. I think it's because we're the youngest and oldest and he and Simran are the oldest so they're significantly closer.

"What do you want?"

"Mum said you have to make the naan"

"No she didn't"

"Yes she did"

"When did she say that?"

"Literally just 2 minutes ago"

"Don't believe you"

"Arjun bhaiii." I whined a bit. Now I remember why we don't talk. HE'S SO ANNOYING. "She went to go get some chillis and I have to stir this daal and you have to make the naan"

"Where are the others?"

"Make the naan and I'll tell you"

He stood there for a bit, contemplating, until he gave in and started making the dough.

"Simran is with dad. They've gone out for quote on quote 'father and daughter bonding time before the wedding'. Abhi and Ranveer bhai have taken Nani and Dadi to buy some new jewellery or something like that"

He nodded his head in response and we did our jobs in the silence we're both so very used to when we're together.

"MAIN YAHAAN HUN" my mum said from the door. (I'M HERE)

finally

"Am I done now?" I asked as she put the bag of chillies on the countertop.

She checked the daal and turned the down the gas "ha jao" (yes go)

"Arjun beta. I missed you in my kitchen" she started conversation with him as I walked out of the kitchen.

I went upstairs and got my dress ready for tonight.

. . . . .

1 week later (the wedding)

FINALLY. I'M SO PUMPED.

I woke up at around 4am and woke up Simran who was in the twin bed next to me.

"Go away" she grumbled, turning to the other side

Our GirlOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara