♡︎childhood

A/N: family series
Modern

I walked into my son's room and picked him up when I saw him kicking around. I brought him out and rocked him around. He was so tiny and he always made little squeak noises.

I sat down on the couch and he curled up on my shoulder and fell asleep. Addy came into the room and I shushed her before she said something and I pointed to him. She nodded and sat next to me.

"Daddy?" She whispered and I looked at her. She hugged my arm and looked at me. "What were you like before I was born?" She asked and I swallowed.

"We'll talk about that when you're a little bit older." I said and she nodded. I didn't want to tell her how I slept around (even when I was with y/n), got arrested 49 times for stupid things like vandalism, robbery, breaking and entering, assault, truancy, harassment, and much, much more, how I sexually harassed the girls I liked, how I drove recklessly around Tulsa nearly killing y/n and I that one time when I was mad, about the rumbles and gambling, I really couldn't tell her any of this stuff. It took a hell of a lot to even shape up and get my shit together for her, and I wouldn't want my past being brought up.

"Why do you ask?" I asked her and she shrugged. "I was just thinking about Miss Sylvia and then a kid in my grade was telling me about how his daddy has a lot of stories about you." She replied and I nodded.

"Who's your friend? Who's his daddy?" I asked and Owen made a little noise in his sleep. "His name is Mike Shepard," She looked at me again, "Do you know him?"

"No shot, Tim Shepard had a kid." I wondered and I looked away from her. "What are his stories? Are they bad?" She questioned and I cleared my throat lightly.

"Baby, I didn't have a good childhood. And I want to make yours damn right and I don't want you ever exposed to mine." I put my arm around her and she smiled. "You're doing a good job now."

She got up and lightly kissed Owen's head and walked into her room and I looked at my son. "I hope none of you guys get exposed to my childhood." I whispered and I felt someone kiss my head. I looked up and saw y/n smiling at me.

"Addy asked me what I was like before we had her, told me Shepard's kid was saying he's got a lot of stories about me." I told her and she sat down next to me and laid her head on my shoulder.

"Shepard had a kid?" She asked and I nodded, "I'm hoping he won't tell the kid anything. I don't want her knowing about it." I said and Owen started to fuss. I sat him on my knees and kept his head up and he smiled at me.

"These kids don't deserve a lousy dad like me." I said and she smacked the back of my head. "You see how he looks at you? You see how Addy is glued to you? How Natalie always wants you to protect her? You're a damn good father and if you say anything other than that, I'll beat you harder." She said and I chuckled.

"How'd I score you?" I asked and looked at her. She smiled. "You got lucky."