Chapter 4 : Preperation for Schooling

Chapter 4

5 Years Later

Ten-year-old Hadrian Potter had never felt so excited in his short life. Looking back, he didn't think he would ever be even a little excited about life after his parents practically abandoned him in favour of his famous twin Thomas Potter. Luckily, fate was not too cruel to the child. Instead, he was unofficially adopted by his grandparents, and found friends that liked him and had the same tastes and distastes – for his twin. His friends were good to him, and they could see many positive changes in the young boy.

The reason for his chipper attitude today was that it was the day. The day for happiness. The day for joy. The day when he and his best friends started their formal schooling.

Contrary to popular belief, pureblood students did not start learning when they were eleven and joined Hogwarts. Rather, they started a year earlier. The children who started early were the future heirs of prominent houses. This meant that they had much more to learn than the muggle-borns who would start the following year. It was also done to ensure that their child did not embarrass their family name by being ignorant about what was being taught.

Back then, the child was homeschooled in the basics of the subjects typically taught in school. While it was illegal to buy a wand for a child, it certainly was not illegal to use an ancestor's wand. The heavy wards that surrounded the manors made it impossible for the Ministry to detect underage magic. Besides, the Ministry wouldn't dare to accuse the heir of a powerful family of a crime. It was also generally ignored as long as the magic was only performed behind closed doors and away from prying muggle eyes.

Then, a few housewives got together and decided that it would be beneficial for all of them if their children studied together. The young heirs could make alliances early in their lives, which convinced the fathers, while the mothers felt that making friends early would ensure a happier school experience for their young darlings.

Hence, ideal-minded families would hire tutors for their heirs. They would meet in a pre-decided location and would formally begin the child's education. The tutor's fee was equally split amongst the families and sometimes, members of one family would teach for free. This process began when the children turned ten since it would give them ample time to learn and forge friendships.

Not all families were invited though; this was not an open group. The Lords didn't trust their heirs with anyone except the heirs of their allies and like-minded individuals. It would give the enemies from other houses an open invitation to either kidnap or, in extreme cases, kill their heirs.

Hadrian couldn't shake off the smile that seemed to have been plastered to his face. He finished his morning rituals and dressed in appropriate clothes for a boy of his station.

Even though Thomas was the more famous one, his grandfather didn't feel that he was entitled to the heirship just because the boy had a fancy mark and an even fancier title (his words). He decided to make Hadrian the official heir of the Potter family, a decision that James didn't like. James argued that Harry was unworthy of the Potter Lordship since Thomas was the Boy Who Lived, who defeated Voldemort and saved the wizarding world, hence, Thomas was entitled to the Lordship. This unintelligent fool was ignored by Charlus and warned to not cross the boundaries and question the Lord of Potter Clan's decision.

Dressed in an emerald green cloak and formal attire consisting of a black shirt and tie, and charcoal-colored pants, followed by polished shoes, Hadrian stood in front of the mirror and observed himself. He had inherited his father's messy black hair, the Potter's curse, and after much difficulty and cosmetics, had managed to tame his hair. He liked his messy hair, but Grandmother Dorea forbade him from looking like a common hooligan and made him comb it to the side. Draco and Rigel had snickered when he changed his hairstyle, but today he had to stick with formalities. His emerald green eyes scrutinized himself, looking for flaws in his attire. He needed to look perfect since he would be standing for the Most Ancient and Noble House of Potter. He did not want to disappoint his grandfather and as the man said, "first impressions are for life."